Which HDD in combination with an SSD in MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Legion93, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Hi to all, I will be purchasing the new MacBook Pro 13" just released (to be specific the 2.8GHz core i7 version). I will be upgrading the RAM to 8GB Crucial and put an OCZ Vertex 3 60GB in the main HDD bay.

I was thinking to put the 750GB standard hard drive that comes with the pro into the optical drive's space. The trouble I am having is to whether use the stock 5400-rpm or buy another hard drive that is faster and better in the optical drive (maybe 7200-rpm drive?). I will use the traditional HDD to store my data and the Vertex the boot drive so to provide additional speed.

I've heard about the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB which is a solid state hybrid drive - this costs around £90 and was wondering if it is worth the upgrade? I will set the Vertex 3 as the boot drive in the main HDD bay so speed is not really an issue but obviously needs to be faster than Apple's stock hard drive. Do you guys know any good hard drives or give me an opinion on which one to use? Thanks very much :)

2. keith4594 macrumors member

Good idea to think about that i have done the exact same thing but i put my ssd in my optical drive space and left the hdd where it was but i will be swapping them around because if i sleep my mac it takes a little bit longer to wake back up but i got a 120gb ssd for applications and the os, i also increased the ram up to 8 it has made some difference my mac now boots in 12 seconds which is handy but if ur like me and are a collector when it comes to digital movies get a 1tb its worth it

i would recommend looking at this website for good hdds
    www.memoryc.com

3. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I appreciate your response, but the Vertex 3 is SATA 3 - the optical drive does not benefit from this as it only uses SATA 2 connection which gives lower read/write speeds. The main HDD bay uses the SATA 3 connection, which is ideal for the vertex SSD. Now hopefully I can get around 400mb+ read/write speeds as OCZ promises.

4. keith4594 macrumors member

my hard drive is a sata 3 though ???