which hdd storage is enough for programming on mac using both win and mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaanyilgin, Mar 27, 2015.

1. kaanyilgin macrumors newbie

I decided to buy a new macbook pro for software development. But I need windows os too on macbook. I will use visual studio and mssql server on windows and xcode and android studio on mac. By the way I will use some small apllication like sublimetext, atom for node.js development on mac. I think that 100 gb storage will be enough for windows. But I'm not sure about mac os because I haven't use a mac computer before. So do you think that 256 ssd hdd is enough for this usage or should I buy a 512 gb sdd hdd.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Difficult to say

Do you keep lots of music, photos, media files or games on your computer?? These all take up a lot of space so have to be taken into consideration Visual studio is 20gb, SSQL 10GB, Windows 8.1 is 20gb. So 50gb plus space for files etc 80 - 100gb sounds ok. Xcode about 10gb Android studio about 2gb. about 20gb for teh mac OSX and all that lovely software that comes with it.

256gb will do it easily for just that. If you plan on using it for media photos etc then the 512 will give you much more space for the fun stuff..

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Then decide how much you need for the OS X partition based on what you store on it and you'll have your answer. To answer the question is 256 GB enough to dual-boot OS X and Windows, absolutely.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

If you don't want to use Windows for games, I'd recommend to run it in a VM instead of using Bootcamp. That way you'll not have to reserve a lot of disk space for a separate partition, but only use as much space on disk as Windows actually uses.

5. kaanyilgin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. I don't play game or don't keep any of media files on computer. I just use it for software development and I have an externall hdd.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Then I'm sure 256 GB will be fine.