Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I am planning to buy a mbp soon. I might go for the 2.53GHz one. However, I would like to know which hdd to choose from? The 7200 one or the 5600 one?Do they have large differences? What is the main difference between them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: May I know if I go for the 7200 one will heat up the MBP faster or will it causes a louder noise than the 5600 one since it spins faster?

Thank you

ValkyrieLenneth

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Vietnam
I am planning to buy a mbp soon. I might go for the 2.53GHz one. However, I would like to know which hdd to choose from? The 7200 one or the 5600 one?Do they have large differences? What is the main difference between them?

The main different is speed. The 7200rpm one will be faster in most tasks while 5400rpm models usually have bigger capacity @ same price.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I have updated another question for the thread and I will be buying a MBP very soon and I need some advice. Thank you.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
You can buy 7200 rpm at 500gb at online stores for pre-order. They should be released in February and do a self-install. Saves you money than upgrading through Apple itself and is a higher capacity than they offer right now on Apple's website.

I have updated another question for the thread and I will be buying a MBP very soon and I need some advice. Thank you.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
The question that I would like to ask is if the 7200 one will highly heat up the laptop or not? If there will be a louder noise compare to the 5400 one?

Also, a higher rpm hdd = faster file access such as faster movie load?

Thanks for reply.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i just installed a 7200 rpm 320GB Seagate drive, and I haven't noticed any change in heat. The hard drive only seems to get hot when you're writing to it a lot, as in when I first copied over my back up onto the hard drive. So it was hot then, but it's totally cool during normal operation.

I definitely suggest getting the base option drive from apple and upgrading yourself. It'll be same price or cheaper, plus you get to keep the drive that you take out, pop it in an enclosure and either sell it or use it if you need an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.