Which HDD? Which CPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhalliwell1, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I was originally going to buy a mac pro but then my mum kinda said it is too big, expensive and i dont need that much power - She's probably right. So from then onward i settled on an iMac and had sussed out what spec i wanted, then my dad said no way, you need portability. so now have to start re-thinking what i need and what configuration i want.

Here's what i will use the computer for; I will be going to University to study computer science in september and my computer will be used for a variety of things. Because of the nature of the course i will at somepoint be compiling large amounts of code and developing applications and websites. I am also getting into photography so i will be using Photoshop and Aperture at some point. I will also have some dependancy on the windows environment so virtual machines are going to be running too. Then there is all the general music playing, surfing the web, checking e-mails etc. Obviously i won't be running all of them applications at the same time but i may be running a few of them.

At the moment i know i will get the 17" hi-res screen with 2Gb of ram (will upgrade to 4gb if i feel the need.)

Anyone know how much of a performace boost i will get from having the 7200 HDD and if so where i will notice that performance. would it be worth losing that 50gig of HDD space?

Again with the CPU, is the 2.6Ghz going to be noticably faster, if so where? and is it worth the extra money?

What spec do you guys have? how do you find it? What do you use your MBP for?

Thanks.

2. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

hey, if you can get the 2.6 go for it you can never have too much power.

the 7200 rpm means you will load and save faster so yeah i would go for it, if you are worried about the 50gb you will lose get a cheap external so you dont need to clutter your mbp!