Which headphones are you using w MBP/iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JeffiJers, Mar 1, 2013.

1. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Looking for a quality set of cans...

Used with MBP at desk/couch/bed + Iphone on the go

Cans need to;
    -be Loud powered of only MBP/Iphone
    -have shorter cord that is only on one side of the headphones
    -portable/hard case I can toss in my bag

90% of the music I listen to is EDM (electronic music).

Would I be an idiot by picking up a brand new pair of Beats Studio's sealed for 130$? fill my wants in headphones but unsure of sound quality. If im spending 100+ I do want as much quality as I can get but the list above are musts

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Beats are terrible. This is what you're looking for, ATH-M50's

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I use Skullcandy 2XL's.

They cost me $30 and they sound and look great. I also listen to EDM music a lot and enjoy the quality of the sound.

4. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I second the M50s at that price range. Solid pick.

5. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

Klipsch over the ear noise reducing headphones for $150 bucks they are the best headphones I've ever had.

6. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, I think my buddy has a pair of these and I do agree with you that for the money they sounded great and maybe i should give them another listen

Always heard good about Klipsch, do you own a pair? worried about the volume output from just an iphone.

As far as the beats comments, even for 120$ they are not worth it? I am drawn to them Bc of the short cord, folding & case. I have never listened to any beats products.

About the M50's I Really do agree with them being the best for the money, better then beats etc However I know the long cord will really get on my nerves. Im not sure if the headphones are glued, could shorted the cord but looking into other options right now.

Thanks for everyones help !

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

M50's have a coiled cord.

8. Action macrumors member

M50 = coiled
    M50S = straight

9. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Even if you get the non-coiled variant, you could just use cord ties or some other form of cable management for the long cable, that's what I do with my Audio-Technicas.

10. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, you gave the M50's a +

I am 50/50 between M50 and Studio's

Wish a local place had the M50's to listen too Going to try out some beats tomo

11. Action macrumors member

Amazon sells the M50 and has a good return policy if you don't like them. I'd advise against Beats -- 90% of what you pay for is marketing and the "b" on the earcups.

If you want something with similar styling to Beats, but much better sound quality, I'd check out the Logitech UE6000, which can be demoed at Best Buy. Here's a review Tyll over at Innerfidelity did on them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4Kt5vKuls
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

12. pingfan59 macrumors member

The V-Moda M80s are a good option as they are portable, come with hardcase that can take a beating, 2 detachable cables(one 3 button with mic and a single button with mic), 2 year warranty. They were on sale at radio shack for 129.99, regularly $199

I researched through some various head phones and came with these. I looked at the ATH-M50, but you needed to mod them for a detachable cable.

I tried the Logitech UE6000 as well and picked the m80s over them based on price and comfort level(UE6000 would not stay put, kept sliding back if you tilted your head) along with the hard case. The UE6000 come with a soft case, but they do have ANC and a 3 button mic cable that is detachable.

I would pick the V-Moda M80s over the beats anyway.

check out www.head-fi.org

13. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I use Bose QuietComfort 15 and Bose QuietComfort 3. They work great.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

For over the ear I would second this suggestion. If you're looking for in-ear earphones, then check out the Klipsch Image X10i

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The price range, as stated, appears to be around $130. Those headphones are $299 and not actually worth it. They are not bad, but you can get much better for less.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bose are a good brand, and the pair I had were very comfortable, surprisingly portable and very good.

While I have to say that I've never owned a set of Klipsch headphones, I've heard very good reports about them.

These are my current headphones and I find them excellent; beautifully designed, extremely comfortable, very, very portable and offering excellent audio quality.

17. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Which pair of Bose did you previously have? Also did you like that better or the current P3?

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My Bose headphones (according to the headphones themselves which I had to consult before replying) are the old 'Bose Triport' headphones; the design is almost 10 years old, and, obviously, they have been discontinued, and have been since replaced by the Bose AE2 model. Now, holding them, and looking at them, reminds me again of just how light and comfortable (and, also, fairly affordable) they were. I liked them a lot, but was subsequently seduced by the sheer style of the B&W.

I must say that I love the P3s - comfortable, lightweight, beautifully designed, surprisingly sturdy, exceedingly portable (and don't take up too much space in a briefcase or rucksack). However, I must point out that the Bose comfortably cover your ears completely, like a muff, whereas the P3s, more sit on the ear as they are rather small and neat.

Even better still (but also more expensive still) are the B&W P5s.

19. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Thanks for the info. The B&W P3 and P5s are within the same class (price range) as the Bose QC3 and QC15s.

It's safe for me to assume that the Bose that you had back then cannot match the your P3s.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, it doesn't. The Bose is an excellent mid range headphone, whereas the B&W are aimed more at the upper range, and this is reflected in the build quality of each of them (I'm handling both of them as I write).

Actually, I bought the P3s first - last summer - and have travelled a lot with them - and subsequently bought the P5s, which are fantastic headphones, easily the best I have ever had.

21. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I'm curious do you use the black or white B&W? The white look nice but I am worried about it becoming discolored.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The white looks fantastic in real life - and is especially stunning in photographs - and I was seriously tempted when I bought the P3s. However, as I travel a lot, and much of that travel is work related and happens in poorer countries, flashing something a bit striking (if gorgeous) struck me as perhaps a bit excessive, in the circumstances.

Hence, not without an inner wince (for the white really is beautiful), I took the sensible option and bought the black, which is lovely, and (fortunately) nobody it notices it at all unless they look very closely at it.

I'll concede that if most of my life and work took place in western Europe, I might have been tempted by the white P3. Having said that, I preferred (and bought) the black iPod classic, not the white one.

23. dmax35 macrumors 6502

I agree mine work great.