Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mox123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
Ideally, i am looking for the base model with high-res glossy screen with 500GB 7200rpm drive. But if the store has in stock with these two options in 2.53 Core i5, i would take it too.

But ultimately the high-res screen is the deal breaker. So which grade of the 15" model do the apple stores have the high-res version in stock?? I hope to get one this holiday weekend.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why not call your local store and find out? We don't know what their inventory is. It can change from moment to moment.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
I've never seen a base model with either the 7200 drive or the hi res as an option in-store. The only in-store options with hi res have been the i7 with 5400 rpm drives. YMMV.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
That's correct. They do not have any with High Res Glossy Displays in stock and have to be ordered CTO.

I wonder why? I have said in other posts alot of people prefer to buy in a store not online. WHy not add a glossy high res to the store?

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I wonder why? I have said in other posts alot of people prefer to buy in a store not online. WHy not add a glossy high res to the store?

They're guessing more people buy HR-AG? Or, to force some people to give the online store a few sales? Just my guesses... They'll obviously look at the sales data for this revision and we'll see what they find out when they implement the next refresh.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth

For those of you unfamiliar with the story behind Apples glossy screens, here it is: PC makers brought out glossy displays a few years ago. They were nothing more than a regular LCD that had a glossy finish on the outer plastic layer. They became popular, so Jobs in an effort of one upsmanship put a shiny glass panel over MacBook & MacBook Pro displays. Taking it further, that year at MacWorld SF. Jobs announced that since "everyone" wanted glossy Apple would no longer offer matte.

Well there was significant backlash, yet Jobs was unrelenting. This lasted until the pushback became too great, sales suffered, and the handwriting was on the wall. So Jobs ego,"Mr Perfect" prevented him from admitting his mistake. And consequently he silently & without announcement slipped matte screens back into the list of choices on the CTO page of the online store. In a stroke of typical arrogance & profit taking, he made what was for years, the standard, now a high priced option. Stubbornly he still pushes glossy & has flooded the stores with them. Thus matte is only in the stores at the managers descretion.

Excluse

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
When I went to the store looking for a 15" i7 Hi-Res Glossy, the guy told me they only had 15" i7 Hi-Res with matte.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I went to the store looking for a 15" i7 Hi-Res Glossy, the guy told me they only had 15" i7 Hi-Res with matte.

Many stores don't even have those in stock. That's why you should call your local store to see what they have.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Ideally, i am looking for the base model with high-res glossy screen with 500GB 7200rpm drive. But if the store has in stock with these two options in 2.53 Core i5, i would take it too.

But ultimately the high-res screen is the deal breaker. So which grade of the 15" model do the apple stores have the high-res version in stock?? I hope to get one this holiday weekend.

Please try the high res using different applications (mail, etc) before you buy one. Many people do not have a problem with the tiny fonts but many people do.

Note: I believe the 7200rpm drives are bto in any configuration.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth

Very interesting. There are three large Apple stores in my market area. I frequent all three, and none carry 15" anti glare models. They all have huge inventories, all glossy. It makes me wonder who really controls the type of inventories the various locations carry.

Excluse

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Many stores don't even have those in stock. That's why you should call your local store to see what they have.

Funny thing, I actually DID call. I only asked if they had 15" i7 Hi-Res and she said yes. The only thing is that I forgot to specify glossy. So when I showed up at the store after school they broke the news to me.

Very interesting. There are three large Apple stores in my market area. I frequent all three, and none carry 15" anti glare models. They all have huge inventories, all glossy. It makes me wonder who really controls the type of inventories the various locations carry.

Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City, NY.
I guess it's a relatively large Apple store.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Local store in Durham, NC has 15" Hi res AG, but you have to pay for the i7 and 500gb. Or, base Glossy 2.4. That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.