Which high res screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timmillwood, Jul 7, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I work with graphic and web design, there is not enough space on my MBP screen so I am going to get a second screen.

I would like a 30" ACD but cant afford it so thinking about a 22" CRT.

Any suggestions?
    I have about £200 to spend.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You can even get an old Apple 20 or 22" CRT monitor. I worked on it for a couple of years before I got a 23" ACD. They are perfect for webdesign and photo editing. They go pretty cheap BTW.

3. cube macrumors G5

Sony and Mitsubishi stopped making tubes, so any new ones being produced today are not so good.

The 2070SB is sold for a high price new today (of you can still find one somewhere), maybe you can settle for a smaller refurbished one, which are quite cheap.

The quality of CRT units varies, so if you just get it from eBay, you could end up with something bad that you cannot exchange.

The phosphors wear, so you hould find out how many hours a used unit has approximately before buying it.

Extremely cheap 2070SB's appear on ebay, so maybe it's not such a risk to get one (shipping will cost you almost as much as the monitor itself). Maybe better to check craiglist if possible.

4. kolax macrumors G3

I find CRT's really bad on the eyes since I've been so used to LCD.

Even if cash is tight; I'd look for a cheaper LCD over using a CRT.

5. munckee macrumors 65816

That's a big step down from a 30" LCD to a CRT. Any chance of shooting for a 20-24" LCD?

6. cube macrumors G5

The 2070SB goes for £25 in ebay.co.uk if you can pick it up. This used to cost around $1000 new. It could be a great deal.

Then you would have some money left for a color calibrator.

BTW, it weighs 30 Kg.