Which hub/docking station do you recommend for rMBP 2017

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 18, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I am looking for a docking station for the rMBP 2017 and hopefully soon 2018 rMBP. Could you please advice? Here are the requirements:

- Need to be able to connect to a 4K TV and drive it at 60Hz
    - 2 traditional USB ports (if possible 3 but not necessarily) one for logitech mice and one for the keyboard
    - if possible good looking and not bulky

I have tried the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter but I don't like a big adapter hanging next to a thin laptop. Look kind of ugly. It also cannot drive 4K TV at 60Hz. I guess it is better to put the docking station near the big TV and have only one wire to connect to the rMBP 2017. Later, I may get a eGPU. Can I connect it to the rMBP via the docking station?

Any recommendation appreciated. Thanks.

2. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

OWC makes a great dock and should be perfect for your use.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks I have a quick look. It states that it "Can power/charge Thunderbolt 3 laptops up to 60W". Doesn't the MBP 2017 use 85W?

4. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Pretty sure it does, but it also has more than one TB port, so you can still have the charger connected.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. What do you think of the OWC one compared with the TS3 Plus? The former seems to be a perfect solution for on-the-go use while the latter seems to be good for home/office use where one has to connect many devices and without the need of an extra charging cable to charge the computer.

6. mroy16 macrumors regular

FYI, a number of people (myself included) have had issues with the OWC TB3 dock failing, and OWC's customer service was ultimately slow and unhelpful. I would look at other docks. There are numerous threads already discussing the pros and cons of various brands.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the warning. I probably go for the TS3 Plus for home use.