Which iBook G3 is the better choice?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Just a quick search on eBay revealed a iBook G3 clamshell. All three are blue and roughly the same prices for around $60. both have the same specs, 2001, 10GB HDD, 64MB RAM.

OR for around the same price range i can get 600, 700 or even 800Mhz G3 snows. Which of the two are the better choices.

This would not be a daily use Mac at all in fact it would get rare use. Just for using when on the go.

2. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I have a ibook G3 700mhz, with tiger on it.

It runs fine, but feels sluggish. However, mine only has 256mb ram, so thats probably the problem there. Other than that, the ibook is nice.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

An iBook may not be the best choice, as I know I've seen some 12" iBook/PowerBook G4s listed for the same price and they're a lot more capable compared to iBook G3s.

As for deciding between iBook G3s, the Clamshell is more durable and interesting to look at while the Snow is more capable.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

For practical use, the Snow models are much better. Get the fastest one you can, and load it up with RAM.

The 800mhz model will get you a Radeon 7500 GPU. If you're buying a 14", you get 256mb of RAM soldered to the board, which makes the maximum ram 768mb(256+512). The 12" are stuck with 640mb(256+512). The best Clamshell has 64mb soldered to the board, which leaves you at 576mb. Some first generations only had 32mb onboard, which gets you stuck at 544mb.

The Clamshells are a neat design for a collector, but have quite a few downsides for use now. The 800x600 screen will feel very cramped on the modern web(I'm amazed now how I was ever able to stand it "back in the day" when it was standard even on desktops). The Snow models grow to 1024x768, which is still a bit small my modern standards but still wide enough for most web pages. All but the last generation Clamshells lack any high speed I/O, as they are limited to USB 1.1 and don't have Firewire. All the Snow models do get Firewire, although still only USB 1.1.

There's a certain charm about even the Snow model iBooks and I have one, but when it comes down to it I still prefer a Pismo. They are a little bit larger and heavier, but can hold a lot more RAM(up to 1gb) and are much easier to work on. They also have a PCMIA slot, so under Tiger with the "right" PCMIA WiFi card(the ones I have are Belkin-branded, although I don't know the model number) can connect to modern WPA2 networks with modern encryption schemes(although at the cost of any WiFi under OS 9). You could also put in a USB 2.0 PCMIA card or any other PCMIA-compatible peripheral you desire. The biggest downside to Pismos-at least as I see it(aside from the weight) is that aftermarket batteries are expensive.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If this machine is intended for any day to day use then skip the G3s and go straight to an iBook G4 unless you want an OS 9 bootable Mac.

6. bunnspecial, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Good point-G4s are many, many times more useable. The G4 also gets you an Airport Extreme card, which is still useable on modern networks.

(Typed from my 800mhz G3 Snow, running OS 9.2.2 and Classilla)

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very important point! Typed from my 900 MHz G3 running Tiger with TenFourFox G3.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I actually looked and found a 1.25GHz iBook G4 with 256 RAM and Panther on it for the same price range even has a APE card (i think) and in relitively good shape other than some hairpin crack around the screen release button