Which iDevice for university?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thilomas, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Thilomas macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what iDevice to get for uni,I've been given money towards any one of an iPhone,iPad or iPod touch as a graduation gift,but I'm not sure which would be the best choice.

I was originally planning to get an iPod touch,since I don't particularly feel like I need a new phone and my original budget wasn't that high (as I would buy it unlocked and off plan here in NZ). That said, the new iPhone 4 is appealing despite the uncertainties surrounding it,and it's now within my price range. They certainly have the portability factor over an iPad.

However,now that I have some additional finances to throw around,I'm juggling the prospect of an iPad,which seems like it could be an ideal uni companion with digital textbooks and all that,but i've no idea about how that is in practice.

I intend to wait until the new generations of iPods and iPads come out (soon,presumebly) before I make my final decision since it's certain those will have some fancy and maybe handy new features, but in the meantime,anybody have some input that might help me make this decision?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have a cell phone? Do you want a [new] cell phone? Do you want the device to fit in your pocket?

-No/No/No --> iPad
    -No/No/Yes --> iPod Touch
    -No/Yes/Yes --> iPhone
    -Yes/Yes/Yes --> iPhone

3. strausd macrumors 68030

If you don't have to pay for your plan I'd say go for new iPhone. Otherwise iPod touch would be good. But if you plan on doing a lot of reading, an iPad might not be a bad idea.

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

iPad for the win.

Being able to carry just an iPad instead of several notebooks and a textbook made my past semester blissful. Not to mention you still have music, internet access, applications, etc.

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Check (not sure how) whether you can actually get digital versions of the textbooks you'll need. No point in hoping you will be able to, getting an iPad, and finding none of them are available.

Personally I'd go with the iPhone.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

7. Thilomas thread starter macrumors newbie

I can,and intend to,buy an iPhone off plan if I decide,since mobile charges in NZ are veeery expensive. iPhone's are available unlocked and plan free,seems like a better (cheaper) option in the long term.

Valid point actually,but seeing as I won't be starting my courses until march I won't know what they are until well after I expect to choose, in that respect the iPhone is more a catchall choice.

Still,I rather like the idea of the iPad study companion,if things were to work out it seems like the better option. That digital textbook detail seems to be the key point now.