Which iMac 2012 i7 or 2013 i5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sledguyry, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Sledguyry, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

Sledguyry macrumors newbie

I am planning to upgrade from my 2010 iMac 27 inch with i3 to a newer model. I am doing some photo editing and light video editing of our home movies on iMovie. I like to play a few games like Civ V and Diablo III once in a while but don't game on my iMac much. I will add more ram to the new iMac myself. Here are the 2 choices I've narrowed it down to. Please help me decide!

Option 1: Refurbished (From Apple) 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Originally released October 2012
    27-inch LED-backlit display with IPS technology
    8GB memory
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera
    with AppleCare I'm at $2,322 shipped to me

Option 2: 2013 imac 27 inch 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5
    with AppleCare $2,321 shipped to me from B&H Photo

Am I really splitting hairs here? Are both of these iMacs going to perform about the same for my needs? Thanks so much for any input you have.

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

It's a very very close call. Personally I would take the 2013 on the count of it being newer and the GPU is more important to me that the processor and anyway the performance difference between the i5 and i7 at that speed isn't going to be massively noticeable.

That said, even though they both come with AppleCare and from reputable retailers, I'd personally prefer to have something come direct from Apple in the event that something goes wrong BUT that is just a personal thing and again I don't think it makes much difference.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Option 1 is listed at $1999 plus AppleCare on the Apple refurb site.

Option 2 is listed at $1699 plus AppleCare on the Apple refurb site.

Might I suggest a third option? Refurbished late 2013 iMac i7/780M/3TB Fusion $2289 plus AppleCare. You will have to watch for this as it's been on the refurb store a couple of times already and then sold out.

----------

A 680MX is noticeably faster than a 775M.

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

That I did not know!! Good job it's not me buying :)

5. Sledguyry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. Apple just updated the refurbished iMacs and added a ton of choices! I snagged this 2013 for $1869!

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Originally released September 2013
    27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution
    8GB memory
    1TB Fusion drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Now the waiting game and constantly checking for shipping updates begins.:D

6. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I am going to be buying an iMac...if everything goes right...in the next few months and you'd definitely recommend the 780m over the 680MX? i wanted to get one with the base core i5 with a 1TB fusion drive, I do want to do some gaming but still need it for school work and presentation and so on and pictures and light video editing

7. Bear macrumors G3

The Fusion Drive on the 2013 is faster. The 780M is faster than the 680MX, but it depends on what games you play - you may only need the 775M.

If you want to save money, look at refurbished systems when you are ready to buy.

8. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

Agh okay thank you, i am a student now so i was definitely going to use the student discount for sure where the graphics card up update is only $135 and fusion drive is $180 (US) and I know the fusion drive they use a much faster SSD and I was going to play games like Batman Arkham series, maybe battlefield and maybe COD and some racing games and of course iMovie and iPhoto use

9. Bear macrumors G3

Ahh then you would have to look at the student discount vs refurbished prices.