which imac 24 for video editing ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Koen007, May 19, 2008.

1. Koen007 macrumors newbie

Current I am a PC owner thinking of switching to iMac, because I like the 24" range.

The computer would mainly be used for basic tasks (also some photo editing) and also for video editing in the AVCHD format.

My question is if the 3.06 g version with the Nvdia 8800 video card is a good investment or is it justified only for gaming or more professional graphics programs ?

Or is the lower 2.8 with the avi 2600 the right solution ? I would like to know if from your experience also this configuration can guarantee a perfect functioning of a video editing program.

Also some advice on RAM and Hard disk is welcome

2. Chucky666UK macrumors member

Well.. i'd say go for the one with the highest clock speed (3.06)if you are gonna spend a lot of time encoding video's which means the 8800GS card(with 512MB) is must (comes with it) and obviusly upping your Ram to 4Gb.. you'll need plenty of space so 750Gb as minimum in my opinion..then you should really have a beast of machine... I've just ordered mine a few hours ago, but 2.8 Ghz with 8800GS and 750Gb drive....if that helps..

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

You do not need to buy the 8800 equipped iMac to get the 3.06 processor. You can custom order the 2.8 iMac with the 3.06 processor and the ati 2600 video card.

So far the ati card performs better on most pro-apps like FCP then the NVidia card. See barefeats.com for reference.

I ordered mine with the 3.06/2600 combo on Friday.

4. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

make sure you buy your 4GB Ram from an outside party other than Apple. I saved $100 when I bought mine and I'll sell my 2GB from Apple after it arrives.

I'm not much for video editing, but i'm sure the iMac will shread whatever projects you have!

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

From my experience with video editing (disclaimer: not AVCHD), I always say that RAM > Processor.