Which iMac 27"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jazz girl, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jazz girl macrumors newbie

I want to buy my very first iMac! (iPhone user since 3GS, currently on 5. iPad user since 1, currently on 3).

I currently have a Dell XPS, (Vista Home Premium) 2.4 Ghz Quad core (Intel). It came with 1TB hard drives - 2 x 500GB hard drives with (I think) a RAID array.

The thing has been the worst PC I've ever had (reliability, not performance) & is on its third hard drive. The RAID no longer works and I can only use 1 x 500GB hard drive. I have 2TB of external hard drives which I use to store audio, photos and video.

I'm looking to buy an iMac 27" and would appreciate some advice as to the configuration.

I use Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Publisher a lot. I also make short videos for Youtube (and to embed into Powerpoint) using Windows Movie Maker and Live Movie Maker. I got Adobe Premiere Elements too but it's too much for my old Dell which is on its knees, although when it works it's still fast. I use my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 for recording and I'm going to get a Blue Yeti mic.

I haven't got loads of cash to spare but I'd like to get a machine that will last a few years. I've managed to keep the Dell going for about 6-7 years, mainly because of the external HDs. I am happy to continue to store videos etc on external HDs.

I will be using the internet, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Audacity and iMovie / Adobe Premiere Elements the most. I'm looking at:

* 3.2 Ghz i5 or 3.5 Ghz i7
    * Happy with 8GB RAM - will update later as necessary
    * Not sure about the Fusion drive after bad experience of the RAID drives failing repeatedly
    * 1TB or 3TB SATA HD
    * NVIDIA Geforce 2GB or 4GB

I can't afford the i7 / 3TB HD with NVIDIA 4GB so it's really what compromise to make with the above to get the best system for my needs. I will also need to add a Superdrive at £65 and Apple care at £139.

I can't decide whether to get a magic mouse or trackpad?

2. Also, if I wanted to use Microsoft Office on the Mac, would I need to install Windows as well? If I need to install Windows, I wouldn't use office on the Mac. (I'm going to reinstall the OS on the Dell to try and get it working better and then run both PCs side by side until I feel able to rely solely on the Mac). I'll have two large screens side by side as well.

I know you must get asked this question a lot so I appreciate your time in replying. Thank you :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the mouse and then later on if you want to try the trackpad get that. I don't like trackpads so its not something I'd recommend ;)

If you want to use your existing office, then yes you'll need to run windows either in a virtual environment, VMWare Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox, the latter is free being open source. In a virtual environment you don't need to boot out of OSX. You can also install bootcamp (the App is in Applications>Utiltiies) but like the VM option you'll need to have a copy of windows but unlike the VM option you boot out of OSX and run windows natively.

You can also buy a copy of MS office for the Mac as well, though it may not have all the apps you need, check out what's available.