Which iMac and MB Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ndwgolf, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ndwgolf macrumors regular

Guys,
    I have a 17" MBP and want to change it out for a new 24" iMac and a MB Air, my question is should I go for the top model iMac with the uprated CPU or go with the (iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2GB, Hard Drive 320GB, Super Drive)
    Also I just want the MB Air for taking with me on trips away from home to check email and Skype my wife and kids so what about the (Macbook Air 13.3" 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2GB, Hard Drive 80GB, Airport)
    Thanks in advance

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Please be more specific to what you will be using the iMac for. As for me, I would only need the 2.8Ghz computer. I wouldn't need the extra hard drive space nor the upgraded CPU. That's just me though. Unless you're doing lots of gaming or anything else that would require a very powerful machine, you wouldn't need more than the 2.8Ghz iMac.

3. ndwgolf thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that , what i do is email, internet, download movies and songs off the internet and thats about it, I have a time machine and save most of my movies (short clips) to that.
    I want the MB Air to travel with but I dont want the 1.6 i would prefer the 1.8Ghz
    Thanks

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I have regretted buying a MacBook Pro since the Air came out coz now the MB Pro is my 'everything' machine... whereas i could have got the iMac and used it for the more strenuous tasks and as i don't do much strenuous tasks on-the-go or away from my desk the Air would be ideal.. Shame... Regret... lets wait for MBA rev2. now...

but i highly recommend the iMac you have chosen, a couple of friends have and love it...

5. ndwgolf thread starter macrumors regular

Yep thats the way I feel, I just dont want to make the same mistake twice and say "man I wish I had bought that one"

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i know the feeling is terrible... I have no where (second home for my MBP, so lets get three years out of service from the bugger then i will go for an amazing iMac) (top-of-range), no compromises and a top-of-range mba... told the wife that i need to spend the cash in three yrs time -- already worried/fuming..

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For what you want to do the lowest model will be more than capable. As for the laptop though, have you actually considered what you're buying there?

It's a cut down computer which features no DVD drive (so no movie or music playback from a disc) just one tinny speaker and just one USB port. All of this in a machine which costs MORE than the regular MacBook which is much more powerful. When the battery eventually dies, you won't be able to replace it yourself and there is no way to upgrade the computer's RAM.

8. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

if you have the money... go for it!!

I do prefer to have everything on one computer.. so I dont have to deal with syncing them.. but the iMac macbook air solutions sounds sweek.. now.. where do I get 3500 bucks to make it work for me :)

9. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'll toss in my $.02. If the screen size doesn't make a difference, I would go for the 20" iMac. From what you're doing, the performance of the 24" iMac would be overkill.