Which iMac configuration for web design?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Keva161, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Keva161 macrumors member

Im going to be purchasing my first Apple desktop computer in a few weeks after owning a 13" MBP for about a year.

I know im going to be buying the 27inch model and then hooking up my 22" Samsung monitor for extra screen real estate (which cable will I need btw?)

The main purpose of this machine will be web design. So programs like photoshop, etc will be the most regular programs run. I may in the future be doing some audio editing for podcast, but thats not the main purpose for this machine.

Will the base model iMac with the 2.7Ghz i5 be ok? Or will I want to go for the 3.1Ghz model for the 1GB VRAM?

2. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

I would expect you'll be fine with the base 27" model. You should probably get some extra RAM from a 3rd party (much cheaper). That way you can run CS apps and maybe a VM or two for testing sites with.

3. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Any iMac CPU will be more than enough for web design, until 4 months ago I was doing it on a 6yr old 2.4ghz Pentium D.

Like Waragainstsleep suggested, upgrading with some 3rd party RAM would probably be the most beneficial upgrade.

4. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

for the $100 or so, maybe get the 2gb graphics - just because your pushing more than one monitor.

or given your using the adobe suite, save all you can cause that juggalo is expensive!!

5. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

2GB VRAM really isn't necessary for multiple monitors, even 512mb would handle them just fine. I really regret spending the extra $100, I could have had 12GB RAM instead, I've just had to put it down to one of life's lessons.

6. Texran macrumors regular

Might not need it, or require it, but I went with the 2gb graphics. Its just one decent lunch with my buddies, and I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Meaning go for the best and you can never doubt your decision.