Which iMac Core-i7 model to buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Justin Debakey, May 10, 2011.

1. Justin Debakey macrumors newbie

I'm considering three different, new iMac Core-i7 models:

1. 3.4ghz (27") 2011 CTO model for $2199,

2. 2.8ghz (21.5") 2011 CTO model for $1699, or

3. 2.93ghz (27") 2010 model in stock at a major vendor for $1810 closeout, new and un-registered.

Primary use is Logic Studio and Pro Tools.

Opinions anyone?
    [​IMG] Mac Pro: 2008 3ghz 8-core [​IMG] MacBook Pro: 2011 i7 2.3 4-core wSSD (dual HD) [​IMG] MacBook Pro: 2008 C2D 2.4 wSSD (dual HD) [​IMG] iMac: 2010 i3 3ghz [​IMG] iPad 2 [​IMG] iPhone 4 [​IMG]

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Number three is logical, but number one is future proof for the next four years. Plus, it's top of the line right now.

Sandy Bridge CPUs, thunderbolt, better gpu, all come with option 1

3. duky macrumors 6502

Number 3 is a pretty blazing computer which is why I bought one today. Of all three options it is cheapest so I think you are getting the most bang for buck. If you want a 6 Gbps SSD then you will need the latest iMac model and if you think you will make use of Thunderbolt then, again, you will need the latest model but I don't think you necessarily need a 17% increase in processor speed considering the old one was already very fast. Btw, the model you are speaking of was available just an hour ago from the refurb store. I would suggest getting it from there since it is $1569 and refurbs are just as good as new computers (full warranty etc) except for the fact that they come in a brown box instead of a fancy white one. They are not there right now but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you wait a couple of hours or 1-2 days they will be back (refurbme.com). Good luck!

4. mackage macrumors 6502

Why are you just considering i7's?

The base i5 2.7 is quite a powerhouse.

5. Justin Debakey thread starter macrumors newbie

While the i5 is powerful and more than adequate for many tasks, I still prefer the i7, with both hyper-threading and turbo boost for heavier processing needs. When dealing with 20+ stereo virtual instrument tracks rendering in real-time along with 40 or more audio tracks in Pro Tools or Logic Pro, (quad) Core-i7 based iMacs and Macbook Pros have proven to be up to the task, and a cost-effective alternative to some Mac Pro models.

The throughput of Digital Audio Workstations is significantly increased when using multiple threads per core. While some of the 2-core Core-i5 processors (like the one used in the 2010 MBP 2.53ghz, for example) featured hyper-threading (Logic Pro saw 4 cores), the 2011 Core-i5 based iMacs do not feature hyper-threading.

[​IMG] Mac Pro: 2008 3ghz 8-core [​IMG] MacBook Pro: 2011 i7 2.3 4-core wSSD (dual HD) [​IMG] MacBook Pro: 2008 C2D 2.4 wSSD (dual HD) [​IMG] iMac: 2010 i3 3ghz [​IMG] iPad 2 [​IMG] iPhone 4 [​IMG]

6. qzxyu macrumors member

Keep in mind the lack of Thunderbolt in the older iMac. Sounds like you do a lot of editing and the Thunderbolt port would probably come in handy down the line.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I recommend the first. I believe the performance increase is worth it.

8. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

I look at option 1 because it offers the most future proof scenario out of the 3 options. The price isnt that much different and of course I think you will end up taking advantage of Thunderbolt down the line as well.

So I pick option 1 :D

9. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

If you're into your music then surely the new iMac's (any model) with the Thunderbolt interface is the only choice?

10. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816