Which iMac for a Macbook and Mac Pro owner for HOME use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sean Dempsey, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

the day before the new iMacs were released, I was in the Apple store in Salt Lake City ready to buy a Blackbook, but I decided to see what happened the next day. Then the new iMac was released, and I really think I want one.

My intent was to own a computer for home usage. I run a pretty busy web design business, so I am on the clock 24/7. I have a Mac Pro at the office with 3 big screens, and then at home I have:

- CoreDuo Macbook 2.0, 2GB ram, 120GB drive
    - Inspiron 8500 Pentium 4 laptop
    - homebuilt Pentium 4 XP beast

I quit using the PC's when the Mac Pro arrived. So they are essentially junk. The Macbook is decently fast since I updated the ram and HD, but *technically* it's my wife's and I get tired of sharing. Plus, owning 2 Macbooks seems redundant when I already can use the WhiteBook on the road, and at home I'd much rather have the iMac screen and external keyboard/mouse.

That being said, what are your first reactions when someone who owns a Macbook and a Mac Pro is wanting the iMac? The bulk of my business work will take place on the Mac Pro, so a 24" screen is pure luxury. So is the speed of the 2.8. Basically I just need a machine I can do web design on for weekends and nights.

I am torn between the the 24" and the 20". I'd like the extra screen, but where this isn't a frontline machine, the cost seems wasteful when it won't be used for most the day (where the Mac Pro has 3 screens, and it was a great decision).

If I went with a 20", is the Base config at 1199 (plus OWC ram) going to be any faster than the CoreDuo 2.0ghz Macbook? I feel silly buying the base model, when essentially it's like a Macbook with a bigger screen. I'll never do any gaming, or any video/3d stuff. It's just a low-res photoshop and html machine.

Any lightbulbs going off in anyones head? I know when i was buying the Mac Pro, I considered an iMac and there was good advice given that led me to the Pro, so hopefully someone can sway me in a certain direction here.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you want the 24'' I say go for it. You don't want to buy the 20'' and then decide in a few weeks that you wish you bought the 24''.

As far as the processor goes, I'd get the base model 24''. You don't need the C2E 2.8GHz and the performance gain over 2.4 is pretty minimal anyways.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I figure, I'll spend 50 bucks to get another gig of RAM, for a total of 2 gigs, which should be fine.

Everything about the base 20" is satisfactory for me other than the screen size. I don't need the bigger hard drive, or the more video ram, or really the 2.4 over the 2.0 CPU.

To go to the 24", that adds $600 for a bigger screen. But seems like I could go and buy an additional 20" screen that runs at 1680x1050 for 250 bucks if I really felt like I needed it.

It's just the Red Blooded American in my that wants the bigger screen just because its BIGGER.