Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorsdan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Trying to decide what sort of imac to get to run CS6. I know the software is old but the subscription method doesn't suit me. I've heard that cs6 has issues with high sierra so it kinda rules out getting a new (latest) mac. So looking at older 2nd hand models and unsure what year to get. Any advice or opinions appreciated.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
opt for a model with an i7 and m780, then?

that way you won't be helplessly behind the curve.

Or look into getting a classic Mac Pro, and soup it up as much as your budget allows.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Consider replacing CS6 with apps that are more modern and designed to work on High Sierra. Pixelmater Pro and Affinity Photo come to mind....

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
True but i'm not in the US and i should probably avoid retina now that i know of the pixelation issues.
[doublepost=1512069046][/doublepost]
I wish but nothing comes close and past files are all adobe. Plus i love photoshop.

What pixelation issues? I've never heard of this.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2017
Unless you are lens flaring and 3Ding the hell out of pictures I think the base modell 512 GB is a good option. 2017 base model is very strong compared to previous base models and can take on previous generations i7 models in a lot of disciplines.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It likely not a question of cs6 working with specific hardware like a 2017 iMac. It could be a problem that CS6 can't handle specific MacOS releases like High Sierra with Metal 2.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
But would cs6 work with a 2017 imac without bugs?

You are asking about the old stand-alone CS6, right? If so, my 2017 (base config 27" with 512 SSD) handles it very nicely. No problems at all that I can see, and the speed and clarity of the screen are great.

Of course, some future version of OS-X could break CS6, but that's always a risk with legacy software.

Last edited:

rumorsdan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
You are asking about the old stand-alone CS6, right? If so, my 2017 (base config 27" with 512 SSD) handles it very nicely. No problems at all that I can see, and the speed and clarity of the screen are great.
I got CS6 design standard. Which imac and system os are you using?

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
did you load cs6 onto sierra/high sierra? or was it already loaded and then you updated the os?

The software was transferred over from my old machine and re-registered on this one.

I don't think you would have any problems.

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
The software was transferred over from my old machine and re-registered on this one.

I don't think you would have any problems.

Hi there. Can you please confirm if you are using macOS High Sierra? I was under the impression that CS6 was incompatible with the new APFS file system. If your SSD iMac has High Sierra installed it should also be using APFS, which would contradict this.

Thanks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Would CS6 know/care if it is sitting on APFS or MacOS Extended? I would think that CS6 might have a problem with Metal 2.

rumorsdan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I'd like to know answers to these questions too. I'm tempted to buy a new imac and try to install cs6 to see if it's successful.

Lalheri

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2018
Trying to decide what sort of imac to get to run CS6. I know the software is old but the subscription method doesn't suit me. I've heard that cs6 has issues with high sierra so it kinda rules out getting a new (latest) mac. So looking at older 2nd hand models and unsure what year to get. Any advice or opinions appreciated.
Hi, I’m in a similar situation and I’m curious about what decision you made?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.