Which iMac for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by James Godfrey, Oct 21, 2011.

1. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am currently deciding which iMac to save up for and buy in the new year... However, I am not sure which of the iMac's on offer will suit my needs.

I would use it for the following:

-Typing up documents
    -Editing movies
    -Editing/mixing music
    -Surfing the web (e.g. You Tube, Facebook, odd bingo room/poker room etc)
    -iTunes

I like the idea of the 27 inch iMac's for the sole reason of the bigger display, but I am not sure which one.

There currently is the 27 Inch 2.7GHz and the 27 Inch 3.1GHz, will there be much difference between the two and should I just opt for the cheapest of the two?

Also, is it advisable to get AppleCare?

Thanks

James

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You get more vram for the GPU and you have a slightly faster cpu. I don't edit movies so I cannot answer whether that's worth the increase 300 bucks.

Personally, I'd get the 2.7Ghz model, mostly because I'll not see that much difference in the performance and I won't really take advantage of the extra vram.

3. James Godfrey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I would like to clarify I will probably never use it for gaming at all.

As for music editing this will probably be done about once a week, so not that often, and video editing will probably be done about once every 3 months or so. So very rarely.

I am leaning more towards the 2.7ghz model, but having the beter one (3.1 ghz) is still interesting me, but I am not sure if I will really see any benefits in getting the 3.1ghz model or not and whether or not it will be a waste of £££.

I would also like to add this is going to be my first ever Mac as I have been a PC user for about 12 years now.

Any other tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Sounds like the 2.7 is a good fit for you. It still is a seriously powerful computer, so you'll have no issues for what you need it for.

Applecare certainly isn't a bad idea, but I personally did without it.

5. James Godfrey thread starter macrumors regular

Shoudl I just keep the factry specs the same?

And also, should I get the trackpad and magic mouse or just one or the other? Which is best?

Thanks

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer a mouse over a trackpad but that decision is really personal preference.

7. James Godfrey thread starter macrumors regular

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

you will be going to ddr3 from ddr2 RAM (with the ability to have more than 4 GB RAM total)
    going to 802.11n from 802.11g wireless
    going to a 4 core L3 cache processor from a 2 core L2 cache processor.
    You will also get a much bigger faster HDD, etc.

yes, that is quite a big upgrade.