Which Imac has 8 cores????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tears2040, Oct 25, 2012.

1. tears2040 macrumors 6502

I am using a 2011 iMac base model that is in my Sig.

All I am really looking for, for now is a processor upgrade since I do a lot of encoding/compression with HD video files.

I know my current Mac only has four cores, so I remember reading some imacs or possible Mac Book Pros have 4 cores and 4 virtually or actually 8 for real? If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would greatly be appreciated.

Also from what I can tell how is the new Mac Mini? It seems like the graphics card Hd 4000 while integrated still allows for video functions. Does the new mac mini use 8 cores?

Thanks for any help

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

None of the iMacs have 8 cores, but the upgraded i7 (top model CPU in 21.5" and 27") support Hyper-threading, which is Intel's technology that allows each core to run 2 threads at once. For some tasks, this will behave similarly to having 8 cores, but it's not the same as a true 8-core processor, as only some hardware parts are physically duplicated.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

As per above, there are a couple 2012 models that support hyper-threading.

[​IMG]

4. XofDyer macrumors member

Does the i7 on the mid-level mini have this function? (either the base model 2.3 Ghz i7 or the upgradable 2.6Ghz i7)

Would this be $100 well spent for video editing?

5. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...

Also it looks like only the 27" BTo and 21.5" BTO have this function according to that spreadsheet. I have never seen those Imacs on the Refurbished section though?

Wonder if any of the new mac Minis have the 4 virtual cores as well.

6. JootecFromMars macrumors member

All i7's have hyperthreading. Dual core i5's also have hyperthreading.

7. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

It depends on the software and the task. For video work the fastest i7 is a safe bet.