Which iMac (Help Please!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MBena, Dec 13, 2009.

1. MBena macrumors newbie

I currently own a black MacBook (late 2008) and i originally purchased for the average student (writing, videos, music, web, etc..) However, i have been involved in many media and film productions courses at school and i am looking at it being my primary focus. As I start to do more intense video editing with Final Cut Express, rather than iMovie 09, my MacBook always gets the beach ball, and is constantly slowing down and lagging(I knew it would happen). I am looking into buying one of the new 27" iMac's with christmas and some my own money, but I can't decide on which one to get? Do i go with the Core2Duo Config (Standard), or should i pay the extra $300 Canadian for the i5? Help please!

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

well, what can you afford?

I would probably spend the extra on the i5, but I would want to budget for another 4 gigs ram ($100) and at least 2TB of FW400/800 external storage ($250)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

More RAM and HD space can easily be added but CPU cannot. If you can afford i5, get it, it's worth it.

4. combat macrumors member

combat

Yeah, (with some work) later on you can add some ram/hd space. Go for the better processor now. i5 is a huge leap in technology compared to the Core duo which has been around for years.