Which iMac is Best For Web Design, i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by invisionblue, Nov 6, 2009.

1. invisionblue macrumors member

invisionblue

First off I have the money to buy either one, but after doing research I'm not sure it's worth paying an extra $200+tax for the upgrade.

I buy a new computer every 3-4 years which also makes me think is there even any programs that take advantage of the i7 yet?

The programs I run are:

Photoshop
    Flash
    Illustrator

And I watch movies on my computer.

Which imac would you recommend if you were just using those programs?

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well you can upgrade RAM, a HDD but not the processor so I'd go all the way and really, the cost difference spanned over say four years is well worth it to never ask what if. The programs will run just fine on either but for the long haul I'd go with the i7. Enjoy either and that nice big screen :D

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Honestly, for webdesign you could use MS-DOS with edit.exe on a 286 with a 14" monochrome screen.
    Get what you want.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7 will be worth it in a year or so when support for multiple cores comes more popular.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I hope your joking at least a teensy bit :p

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Get a previous generation high-end mac mini, a $200 screen from Best Buy, and spend the rest getting drunk. Also, this will allow you to use the same type of monitor that the average joe uses, as well as buying a really top-notch one, if you choose to.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

for the programs you use - you don't need the i7. If you were using 3d modeling software or anything that required heavy rendering then I would go higher - but even a regular macbook with the right ram would be good enough...

Save your money for something else - perhaps an external hard drive, another screen or whatever...

8. invisionblue thread starter macrumors member

invisionblue

I ordered the i5 just now with 8GB of ram. Thanks for all the replies!