Which iMac is for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gocardsfan1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. gocardsfan1 macrumors member

I am currently considering getting an iMac. I have decided that I will definitely get a refurbished 20" model. I want one of the current models because of the updated processors and the faster frontside bus. I know that the 24" screen quality is better, but my desk space is somewhat small and I can't justify the price difference. I also plan on upgrading the RAM to 4 GB. What I can't decide is whether the faster processor and better graphics card of the 2.66 GHz model is worth the money to me. I don't play games on my current pc, so I don't think the graphics card is that important, but will the older graphics card in the 2.4 GHz model influence the speed of the computer when snow leopard comes around? Is the extra .26 GHz of processing power going to make any difference when using iWork, Safari, iPhoto, and iTunes? I may also use iDVD and iMovie, but whatever I do will be very basic stuff. I want this computer to last me a while, so is the 2.66 GHz model going to last longer than the 2.4 GHz? Currently the refurbished 20" 2.66 GHz model runs for $1300 and the refurbished 20" 2.4 GHz model is $1000.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Entourage12 macrumors member

I know you said you wouldn't get the 24" because you couldn't justify the price increase but you should seriously look into the 2.4GHz 24" with the Radeon 2600 graphics because it sells at exactly the same as the 2.66GHz 20" model and the screen is just that much better.

You will not notice a major difference in the old processors vs the new.

3. belunos macrumors member

The system bus is the same across both models, and if you're not doing heavy duty stuff I'd probably just go with the cheaper model.

Me personally, I'd hesitate to get anything with less than 512MB of video memory, let alone 128.. but that's just me. If you're going to play games or edit large photos or movies, you'll probably be fine

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

+1.

5. phoobo macrumors regular

+2

Do consider the 24" anyway. The screen has much greater color depth than the 20" (which is made by a different company). Long term, it'll be worth it. And you can work around the footprint.

6. gocardsfan1 thread starter macrumors member

Wow... that's a good point. I must have overlooked that. Okay so now my options are the 24" 2.4 GHz and the 20" 2.4 GHz. You've got me leaning toward the 24" model, but would the 20" be powerful enough for me? It's still a $300 price difference, and I would like to save my money if I could.

Would the 24" model be able to run at the 800 MHz speed of this RAM?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

All I know is this: I went from a 20" iMac G5 to a 24" Intel iMac and the differnce in the screens is stunning. It's well worth the 300 bucks.

8. gocardsfan1 thread starter macrumors member

My only concern with the 24" screen is that it will look out of place on my desk. The monitor currently on my desk is 17", and to go from that to 24" would seem somewhat overkill. I spend most of my computing time on my 15.4" laptop, and just to switch to 20" would be a big change to me. However, I would appreciate the extra screen space and the better quality in the 24", which is why I am still very seriously considering it, especially with it being the same price as the 20" 2.66 GHz model.

9. Entourage12 macrumors member

The 24" 2.4 is only capable of running the RAM at 667Mhz. The 20" 2.66 would be obviously a bit faster but not by much.

I was placed in this exact same situation when I was about to get mine (just finally received it about 2 weeks ago). The best way to finalize your decision is to go look at the two side by side, maybe even measure the dimensions if thats what you're so worried about. Just play around on them both for 5 minutes and the difference of the 24" screen will sell you.

10. gocardsfan1 thread starter macrumors member

I think that's what I'll do. I will probably get the 24" because of the larger screen and the faster graphics, but seeing it in person will help me decide for sure. Do Apple stores have refurbished models in stock, or will I have to buy online?

11. Entourage12 macrumors member

You can't actually buy them in the store but I definately suggest going to look at them. Mine shipped from California to Toronto in 3 days and that had to cross a boarder so you will probably get it in two.

12. gocardsfan1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just visited the apple store and I see what you all mean about the 24". The screen is BEAUTIFUL. I think I'm convinced that I will get the 24" 2.4 GHz model. Thanks for all of your help.:D