Which iMac is for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigalke45, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bigalke45 macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for any help. I have been trying to wait to buy a new mac until the core i processors are standard. However, it's getting hard to wait any longer and I want a desktop computer to use while I study for the CPA exam. Also, when I buy a computer I want to use it for atleast 4-6 years, I am still using my 12" PowerBook g4 1.33ghz I bought 6 years ago. Am I going to be fine for that time period if I get the base 21.5 core 2 duo iMac? Or am I going to be kicking myself in two years? I use my computers for safari, iTunes, Microsoft office (not heavily), watching YouTube and trailers online, and other iLife suites. I am not a power user by any means, but I use a variety of programs over time. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am typing on my iPhone quickly at work so sorry for any grammar mistakes.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You won't be kicking yourself after few years if you go for the base 21.5". Your usage is very basic and doesn't require much from the hardware so save your money and get the 21.5". Core iX CPUs are not going to affect on your usage

3. mxpx5678 macrumors member

I just got my first iMac

I was debating between the 21.5 and the 27 inch also.

The 21.5 is what i ended up settling on. So far I have loved it, the screen is plenty big and I even added a second 22inch screen that I had from an old computer. So now i have dual 22 inch screens. It is more than enough real estate and the computer is powerful enough to do what I need it to.

4. bigalke45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I think I will be picking up the base model iMac this weekend. Do you guys think the basic graphics card will hold up for a long time for watching basic videos online? With my 12" Powerbook videos online are almost unwatchable at times.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Video playback is done by CPU, not GPU so you will have no issues.