Which iMac is the right choice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yUnoNinja, Mar 4, 2013.

1. yUnoNinja macrumors newbie

I want to "future proof," my new imac and I'm thinking about ordering the 27" 3.4 i7, 1tb fusion, and the 675mx.

The only thing I will be doing is editing photos using CS5 and LR4, web surfing, iTunes, and downloading of music and movies. (Payed of course)

BUT I was wondering if I should actually go for the 27" 2.9 i5, 665mx(I think that's what it is) and 3tb fusion. (The ONLY reason I'm having doubts on this imac becuase it's i5 and possibly not future proof.

What would be the smart choice???? Please help. It's been on my mind for days!!!!!

Ps I'm also considering reselling value as well.

2. erikjorg, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

erikjorg macrumors newbie

Overkill maybe

There is no way of "future proof" a Mac. Believe me, I have 29 years of experience with Macs in the graphics industri. Apple comes out with a new model every 18 months or so and it's always hard to resist temptation to update.

If you will be using the iMac as you describe I think, unless the cost is of no concern, there is a cheaper way to get great performance.

I have a 27", 2.7GHz Intel core i5, 14GB Ram, 1TB internal HD used for file storage only, plus external SSD 128 GB with Thunderbolt connection where OS 10.8.2 and all applications including Adobe Designer Suite 5.5, Parallels 8 with Windows 7 reside.

I'm basically doing the same sort of things as you are and the Mac runs at amazing speed. The start up is also very fast due to the SSD and plenty of RAM.

I have not had any issues since I bought the iMac new mid 2011.
    Ditto with another 27" a few months older which is also running great, but a fair bit slower.

3. Bear macrumors G3

How long are you thinking about keeping the iMac for? And is what you'd be using the iMac for likely to change over time?

Another possibility is to get the 3.2GHz i5 with 675MX and fusion drive. However, I can't say what *I* think your best option would be without the answer to the above 2 question.

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

The only way to future proof a mac is if it has an upgradeable graphics card like the mac pro. And with the way things are headed I am seeing a huge performance increase in the next cycle than this one. maybe even 8 cores in an imac

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would go....

with the option with more storage and more CPU raw power. The storage can be useful if using lots of files and RAW format. And the CPU is a very important point when doing editing.

Future proofing, I will expect current Mac computers will be let out on the cold in 3-5 years

:):apple:

6. scbrain macrumors newbie

When you buy an iMac, you buy two things: a very high quality and expensive screen, and the attached computer. The second will become slow and eventually obsolete; the first, not so much, or at least, not as quickly.

It's smart to get a nice 2560X1900 screen (see Monoprice for a model like that in an iMac) and then get a Mac mini. You can swap out the mac mini every couple of years and keep the monitor. Otherwise, the monitor will go in the garbage (or recycle bin) when the computer bogs down.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

But really the cost is not that different, maybe $200 difference spec for spec and with the iMac you get a discrete graphics card.

8. corpfan1 macrumors newbie

I think the #1 thing you can do to "future proof" your Mac (and I mean, you still want to upgrade to a new one every 5 years, but the old one can be passed on to someone else or can be used as a 2nd comp in the home) is to...

Get the SSD drive upgrade.

OR

Boot from an external SSD drive.

Honestly, you get what you pay for.

9. yUnoNinja thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a college student and broke as a joke but I saved up just enough money to splurge on a new iMac so i plan on keeping this baby for 5-7yrs, if possible. I plan on using the iMac for basic use and photo editing for awhile, possibly even video editing in the future.

10. Andrew*Debbie macrumors member

The machine in your first post is overkill for what you plan to use the computer for.

The i5 is good enough for what you are doing. Video rendering will take longer than on an i7.

But you will have $200/£140 less debt.

Which GPU is a harder question.