iMac Pro Which iMac Pro?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MatthewStorm, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I've been away from Apple computers for a couple of years. Thinking about getting the iMac Pro but not sure which version to get. This is mainly for Photoshop - large RAW files - and Adobe Premiere/After Effects and/or Davinci Resolve editing CinemaDNG files. Some light SFX work. I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks.

2. fusionid macrumors member

Stay away. Seriously waiting for my replacement

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

Why an iMAC Pro specifically and not wait for the updated standard iMACs?.......

4. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

If I was primarily editing images and wanted a desktop machine, I'd consider even the current entry-level iMac (non-Pro) or Mac mini unless I was really counting the fractions of seconds.

5. HDFan macrumors 65816

If you are using Premiere, Media Encoder can utilize a lot of cores during a render.

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 02.17.54.png
    In this example the range seems to be from ~1500% to ~2700% cpu utilization on an 18 core iMac Pro system.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Sounds like a base iMac pro would be perfect for you just add the storage you require.

7. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I have had mine for about a month now and so far it's working almost perfectly (have a few minor hiccups). I hope I didn't just jinx myself and just have to say I feel for those who purchase something expensive only to have that product fail on them. I usually wait until the second generation is out before buying, but this time I felt liking gambling with it. I purchased the 8-core iMac Pro and the only thing I upgraded was the video card, but if I had to do it again I think I might had gone with the 10-core version of the iMac Pro. I have read on the Internet that seems to be a sweet spot. I switched over to FCPX and Motion after years working with the Adobe CC lineup. I did it for two reasons I read where FCPX really takes advantage of the iMac Pro multiple cores better thad Adobe and the second reason it's a one time purchase for the Apple Applications where as Adobe is subscription based. Subscription base if fine with large companies and very successful people (By that I mean earn enough money to justify it), but I'm just starting out in the video field even though I have taken some college courses dealing with the subject. In the long run it should save me $$$. Sorry for going off-topic.

Anyways, I love how fast videos are rendered on the iMac Pro versus when I used my old computer. I remember have to take breaks when I had to render a video and there's nothing worse than rendering only to find out that it didn't render properly. Then there was the size of the video, for a high quality video usually meant you had to dial down the resolution when you were working on it. My .02 cents.

8. fathergll macrumors 65816

Unless you got a Mac Mini used at a very good price the 2014 Mac Mini is a ripoff in 2018.

9. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Basically I'm trying to decide between 8 and 10 cores and the upgraded video card. I already know I want the 64gig RAM. Both together are hella expensive.

10. mpe, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018

mpe macrumors 6502

I am using the base iMac Pro model (8core/32/1TB/Vega56).

I don't use video apps. But for editing RAWs in Photoshop/Lightroom, the speed of Lightroom isn't that different from my previous iMac (2015, i5 3.3, 32GB, 2 TB Fusion). The Lightroom is laggy for interactive use (culling photo, zooming in/out, retouching, applying filters) and faster hardware won't improve that.

Obviously, there is significant speed improvement when importing, applying batch operation, exporting and pano/HDR merging, so if you need to speed up that part of your workflow it could make sense.

I am still happy with the machine as next to RAW editing I am using it also for software development where it shines.