Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickpress

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I'm planning to buy a new iMac in the next week but I'm looking for the one that will produce the less heat so that will make less fan noise. I'm only using it to watch YouTube and play World of Warcraft. Anyone know which one will produce less heat, i3 or the i5 or even the i7. Budget is not a problem. I prefer to pay a little more if I know I will have less fan noise so less heating. Anyone maybe have different model at home or at the office and noticed a difference between all the models ? Maybe it's more a size question between the 21.5 and the 27 inch iMac and less a cpu question ?

I just remember that my old Dell XPS P4 was able to heat practically all my house in the winter and then my Core2 Duo computer was not even warm in the back where the fan is.

Thanks for your help

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
All current iMacs have sufficient enough cooling to run at their default fan speeds (1000rpm optical drive, 1100rpm hard drive and 940rpm cpu) Those 3 fan speeds are all low, and you won't hear the fans at all.

As for the computer that produces the least heat, it would be the model with the i3 clarkdale and mobility 5730 (5670) gpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.