Which iMac RAM to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slinkington, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

A few years ago, I bought 2x 2GB of ram for my iMac however the iMac wouldn't accept both of them at the same time - I put this down to it being the wrong kind. (Even after the seller told me it should work)

Anyway, I was wondering if this ram I've found would be compatible with the base iMac model (21.5") which is currently available to buy on the Apple website?

Ram:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_4450wt_922

Think I've got it right this time? Thanks for your time. :)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Crucial For Me

Every time.....They sell to Apple. And have a tool that runs to ensure you get the right modules. Bought 8GB from them a while back....A Breeze!

3. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Thanks! Thought I had better ask the community this time before being too hasty. :)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Are 100%

Safe with Crucial.....Buy all my RAM from them, fast service and they get it right.:)

5. ctucci macrumors regular

I dunno about crucial ram any longer. I do support for a chain in PA, and have had to replace crucial ram in 3 point of sale stations and one server in order to resolve problems.

Took me a while to troubleshoot to the RAM, because I've had so few problems with RAM in the past over the many, many machines we've cycled through.

I've been replacing with PNY, so far, so good. Just my .02 -

6. drewyboy macrumors 65816

7. ctucci macrumors regular

Whoa

Thanks for that link, had no idea they were out there. <whips out wallet>

8. ctucci macrumors regular

OWC followup

8gb for 39 bucks. That took me from 4 to 12. More than noticeable, because I use VMs for different purposes. I now feel like I'm on my Mac Pro at work since paging isn't getting in the way now.

Thanks again for the macsales tip -

Chris