Which iMac should I buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mtthwcmn1, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I will be doing web browsing, word processing, iTunes, some Mac app store games, some iphoto, some garageband just messing around. I might also be doing some codeblocks learning how to write basic c++ and java.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The system will be way under utilized even with a base machine, therefore buy a base 21.5" iMac. About the only upgrade I'd recommend is upgrading the RAM to about 12GB but don't buy it from Apple. You can buy great RAM from reliable suppliers such as Crucial and www.macsales.com (OWC.)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It sounds like the base model (2.5 GHz) would suit you just fine. Or, if you want a larger screen, you could choose the lower 27" model, though I would only do this if you really feel you need the larger screen. 21.5" is quite large as it is.

Good luck. :)

4. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I second that...good advice!

5. rdsii64 macrumors regular

If you have accurately described your intended use, Any iMac you choose won't even break a sweat. I hate small screens so I would get a 27 inch. However, the base 21.5 inch will more that cover what you have mentioned. A ram upgrade is always a good thing regardless of what you pick.