Which iMac Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jellotime91, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jellotime91 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an iMac next year after the refresh in March or whenever it happens, but using the current model format I'm having a little difficulty deciding which price model I should go after for my purposes.

I've been looking at the $1799 (I live in Canada, folks..) model which is the 24" iMac with 2.66Ghz processor, it seems like the best for me, but I'm concerned about the graphics card.

The computer I use now has a 2.4Ghz Intel C2D processor, 3GB of ram, and a 512mb ATI Radeon HD4350 (new, good haha) graphics card. Basically the most graphic intensive thing I do on it is play The Sims 3, and I'm wondering if the iMac's 256mb graphics card will play The Sims 3 as well as my computer does.

when I bought my computer it had a 256mb graphics card, and changing it to a 512mb graphics card made a huge difference and now The Sims 3 runs much smoother than it did on 256. So you can see why I'm worried about this.

Has anyone tried The Sims 3 on that model? It seems to be the most popular model right now so I'm assuming somebody has... @_@..

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on the subject.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get 2.93 model if you want Sims 3 to run even smoother. It's just 300$ but it makes significant difference, also in resale value. Nobody wants to buy computer with intergraded GPU in few years

3. jellotime91 thread starter macrumors newbie

True true.. I'm really impressed with the current lineup of iMacs. To me, 640GB is a LOTTT of space, and putting 4GB in all of the 24" iMacs is pretty awesome too.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...RAM is cheap these days... why try and make a decision when you don't plan to buy right away... wait until they have models that tempt you...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Or look at refurb store. Previous gen model with ATI 2600 beats 9400M easily and is only 1199USD

6. suekitch macrumors regular

It's the resolution on the 24" machines that brings gameplay fps down.

I've got the 2.66Ghz model myself and it runs on max resolution, but it could be smoother. I drop it down a notch and it's just great on Sims 3.

As a comparison though I've had an ATI 512MB 8800GT PC and a 9700 GTS gaming laptop. The former on 20" screen, the latter on either a 20" screen (external) or the 17" native. At the native resolutions for each of those, I never got perfect frames per second playing the games I did at high settings.