Which iMac should I get

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nintendo64, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Nintendo64 macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2011
    I'm not sure if I should get the 27" iMac 2012 with the fusion drive or without. Here are the specs I'm considering.

27" 2012 model configuration:

2.9GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core
    8GB of 1600Hz DDR3 RAM
    1TB Fusion Drive
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M Graphics (512MB)
    27" HD LED-Backlit IPS Display
    2560 x 1440 Native Resolution
    802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
    Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, SDXC Card Reader
    720p FaceTime HD Camera, Dual Mics
    Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (64-bit)

I'll probably be using it for entertainment purposes (watching movies, listening to music, etc.). I'm learning to use Blender and will probably be using Photoshop some. I'm not a gamer or anything like that, but am hoping to start learning to code/program some time in the near future. I'm just not sure if I need the Fusion drive which will cost about $250 more if I buy from BH Photo.

Thanks for any advice :)
  2. malvicus macrumors member

Jul 28, 2013
    It comes down to whether or not you could appreciate the faster performance including faster bootups. Apps that you use frequently will launch faster. That means, instead of waiting for 6-7 bounces before it launches. You get 2-3 bounces on a fusion drive. It really just comes down to personal preference.
  3. Nintendo64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks :) That makes a ton of sense. I already have a 2010 MBP that takes forever to bootup and load apps, so it would be refreshing to have a computer that could launch apps quickly. I'll probably go for the fusion drive. Thanks for your help!
  4. malvicus macrumors member

Jul 28, 2013

You're welcome!