Which imac should I get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorldTravelBro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

At the moment I only edit 1920 x 1080p video files. I make video effects etc.. I am also a graphic and web designer/coder.

What is my best option?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Pick whatever screen size you want. Then add on 16GB if getting a 21 or 32 if getting a 27 inch. Personally I would do a SSD and a Thunderbolt scratch disk. Otherwise, you could get a hybrid drive to ensure great speed.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, if you can swing the 27" iMac then go for that - its a gorgeous screen.

I'd go for the 27-inch: 3.2GHz with 16Gb of ram

4. WorldTravelBro thread starter macrumors member

What is a scratch disk? Is it something I need to purchase and setup?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A scratch disk is a drive where temporary files go when working on photos or videos. By default, a computer will use the drive that the program is installed on as a scratch drive. It is important on large files to have scratch space. For instance, if I was working on an advanced Photoshop document with many layers and complex graphics, then Photoshop will use the scratch disk as swap space.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You mean the 3.4GHz i5-4670, don't you?

Since he does video, I think he should use an i7 instead. The hyper threading capabilities of the i7 will be useful in video.

The ergonomics of the 27" may not be the best though. I suggest a maxed out 21.5", pure SSD.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The i7 would definitely be a nice boost in power. However, the i5 is no slouch by any measure. I have used both iMacs and I personally like the 27", but everyone has their own preference. In my opinion the 24" they used to make was the sweet spot.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604