Which iMac should I go with, 27 or 21.5? [New Mac user]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ragamuff55, May 26, 2011.

1. ragamuff55 macrumors newbie

Well, I have never owned a mac before in my life. I really like the iMacs but I am kind on the borderline between the 27 in and the 21.5 in. I will be using it for internet browsing, photoshop, slight gaming (the most graphic intensive game that I play would probably be GTA 4 or Bad Company 2), and probably some video editing. I really want a computer that lasts so thats the main reason I am switching to mac. Space is not an issue but I would really like to save some money. I would love to hear some opinions on this :)

2. Mrglassjoe2u macrumors newbie

I actually just bought my first Mac if my life which just last week was the 21.5" iMac. I am so glad I did. I will never be buying a Windoze machine again. I use the Mac for Internet browsing, photo & home movie editing. I've been out of the gaming scene for a while but might be getting back to it with the Mac now since the graphics are phenomenal. I was in the same boat as you with debating between the 21.5" and the 27". I opened the box of the 21.5" and am glad that I didn't go with the 27" only because the 21.5" was more than enough for what we will be using it for. Plus I saved a bit of money. Either way you are making a great decision in getting the iMac in my opinion.

3. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Go with the 21.5 it is an amazing machine.. I had the 24" aluminum iMac and it was a great computer. I find the 27" to be a little to big but that is my personal preference.. if you ever need more screen real state you can always add a second monitor I much rather have 2 21" than 1 27".

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I have both a 21.5 and 27.

I do appreciate the extra screen real estate with the 27".

You say that you use photoshop. Well with the 27", you'll have more space for two projects open side by side. Important.

Plus if you watch movies on it, there is a difference.

It’s a bit like going back from an iPad to an iPhone for surfing. (yeah sure, the ipad is the same but bugger, but you noctice)

If you can afford it with-out significant sacrifice, go for the 27”

5. Finch7 macrumors newbie

I would check them out in the apple store, see if you think the larger screen is worth the money. I have a 17 inch mac laptop that is perfect for me so i would go with the 21.5 display. displays websites like cadendavidson.com beautifully :)

6. ragamuff55 thread starter macrumors newbie

The 27 inch screen I really thought was beautiful but the 2,000 dollar price tag just doesn't really seem like its worth it for me. I'm definitley going to take a trip to the mac store and compare the differences but I am almost positive i'm going to go with the 21.5 inch! Thanks for all the help, pretty sure i'll be back with more questions later!