Which iMac should I order?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lihi, May 6, 2011.

1. Lihi macrumors newbie

i've been waiting patiently for the refresh and now i'm about to purchase my first iMac, just waiting for it to get to israel, hoping this will happen in the next few weeks.

I currently own an 18 months old macbook pro, and a very old and dying PC which the iMac will replace.
    I'm a graphic designer, using adobe cs5 products such as: Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver and maybe some After Effects in the future. and i work a lot, day and night.

now i'm little confused about which model should i go for
    at first i didn't want the 27" cause i thought it was too big, but i figure i will get use to it, plus i really need a lot of work space on screen (currently working on a 19" and hating it).

but is the base 27" model enough for me?
    should i upgrade to i7 or will i5 do the work?
    and what about the graphics in the base 27?

will be glad if someone helps out and answer my questions
    thank you

2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I'd say it's probably enough, yes. Unless you play graphics-intensive games...?

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Based on the programs you listed, I think an i7 upgrade will come in handy.

4. Lihi thread starter macrumors newbie

no games at all.
    only working with the programs i listed and internet.

5. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Who's the prick downrating your posts...?!

A friend of mine runs a small animation business. He does lots of rendering, which is apparently extremely CPU-intensive. If that's what you'll be doing, as DG has said, the i7 might give you something extra. But if you're working on stills, I think the i5 is fine.

6. Lihi thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no idea, that's weird.

about the rendering, i'm not working with animation or 3D so there will be no rendering. maybe just a little video with After Effects but just from time to time.. i don't really use it on a regular basis.

and thanks for your quick reply

7. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

No worries. Feel free to seek other opinions, but I reckon the i5 will do you. It's a very powerful CPU, in its own right.

8. Nanker/Phelge macrumors regular

I think you'll be fine with the i5, I would go with the 3.1 GHz over the 2.7 GHz though.

And given that you mentioned you're waiting for it to come to Israel...I'm going to guess the person downgrading your posts is someone who doesn't like Israel.