Which iMac (storage in particular) for my needs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jabzzz, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Jabzzz macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I am extremely interested in purchasing the latest greatest iMac 27"

I am hovering around the following configuration

I7 processor.
    8gb ram (aftermarket upgrade to 16)
    780m 4gb
    256 SSD

This comes in at ~£2200!

Will the 256gb SSD be enough for the following: Mac partition, applications on the SSD (my mac air uses ~75gb). I have a 500gb external usb3 drive which has my iTunes and iPhoto library on.

Windows partition: with enough space to download enough games to keep my busy until the new year (planet side 2, guild wars 2, bf3/4 etc.

So would the 256 be enough for OS X and windoze with enough space for games etc? Are there any other solutions I could use? Boot into windows from my external drive etc?

Thanks all! Very excited newbie here!!

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Are you totally sold on SSD, does the fusion drive option interest you at all?

My own opinion is I would go with the 512 SSD if I was going the SSD route. Gives you some more flexibility for the future.

3. Jabzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I feel that spending so much money on this machine I don't want any "older" technology. I know the fusion drive combines a 128gb PCIe SSD and a traditional 1tb rotating disc drive which I am not keen on.

If I split the partition 50/50 would that be enough for a windows 8 partition with say 5-8 games?

All my music and stuff will be on my external so the boot camp partition will only be for games and maybe solid works / catia v5

Thanks,
    Jamie.

4. d0nK macrumors 6502

You could forgo the i7 upgrade and opt for the 512 SSD instead.

It's a ton of money over here in the UK for an iMac aint it :(