Which iMac to buy 21" vs. 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DrMabuse, Dec 8, 2012.

1. DrMabuse macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if to buy the 21" 2.9 GH with fusion or the 27" 2.9GH with fusion.
    As you know the price difference is just 300 $ and with the bigger one you can even upgrade the RAM later on.....but
    If i imagine the 27" on my desk, it will look very big. i tried a 27" at the store today -
    i had the impression that most of the time you dont even use the bigger screen.
    Surfing the web or writing you just use a small part of the screen.
    What do you think?
    What did you decide? And why?

2. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I had the same dilemma. Although it hurt a little to buy something I couldn't upgrade later, after much measuring, I decided the large screen would just take up too much space (it has to share desk with my work laptop). So, full spec 21.5" for me.

4. ashleypenny macrumors member

I went with 27" as I am a photographer. Bigger screen is better for me and I already have a 23" Dell display so didnt really want to take a 2" downgrade. Also the prospect of self upgraded ram is a no brainer.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

6. plucky duck macrumors 6502

27" if you have the space, the money, and the eyesight for it. Larger size display along with a larger resolution allows for ease of multitasking side by side.

7. Ryand123 macrumors member

Yeah that's the irony. The only way to prevent neck strain with a 27 is to move it back. The only way you can move it back is if you have good eyesight.

I have bad eyesight and a 21 inch.

8. kant macrumors 6502

I've had a 27" for almost 3 years. That screen was sweet for the first couple of weeks but it got old rather quickly. I've got it on a desk against the wall. If it was facing out into the room it maybe wouldn't be so bad.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have both the 21.5" and 27" Haswells.

The 27" is too large for my desk, so I VESA-mounted it to a wall in my basement server room to act as a home server.

The 21.5" is just nice for work and has enough power for almost everything that I do, except for heavy 4K video editing and playing BF4.

I maxed out both models. I will not recommend a Fusion because if just one sector, be it rotational or SSD part breaks, the entire drive is toast and you lose everything. Having just a pure SSD setup is far more reliable.

Fusion read/writes is 510/320 MB/s.

Pure SSD read/writes is 750/650 MB/s.

For normal usage, Fusion is fine. But if you don't intend to buy a new Mac within the next 5 years, go for a pure SSD setup.

10. jeffsmitth macrumors newbie

i will recommend you 22'' because it is best i am also using it from some years and it is best if you have money then you should enjoy large screen of 22'' so in my opinion 22'' is best.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Heads you get the 27" tails you get the 21"....okay one sec while I get a loonie (canadian)......puff puff,had to run downstairs to find one....okay 321 I'm about to toss...drum roll!

Congrats her majesty the queen says your getting the 27" :rolleyes:

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I can't even find a way to get a 27'' back home lol, 21'' all the way for that reason alone :)

13. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I have a big desk the 27" fits fine on and do a fair amount of photo editing. Love the extra screen space. I have 24 GB RAM and the hard drive; I don't quit the apps I use all the time so they snap up when I need them. The hard in the 21" iMac is a slow drive meant for laptops.