Which imac to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, May 29, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am wanting to buy a 24" iMac (one snow leopard is standard) but I am unsure which one to get. I mainly would use it for word processing, watching movies, itunes, surfing the net etc. I was thinking of getting the 2.9 to "future proof" myself, but knowing me I would want a newer model down the track. Would the 2.66 suit my needs? I really want it to be zippy

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I would recommend the 2.93GHz, just so you're happy for longer and at least the GT130 video processor. :cool:

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...wait for SL to come out first to decide what's best for you (an actually being produced at the time)...

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Could be 3 months or longer before SL is released. Just depends how long viccles wants to wait.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've said it countless times, and it holds true here:

Once you've decided to go iMac, always get the most you can afford, even if you don't know that you'll use it right now. Very few people regret buying too much; many end up regretting buying too little.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am happy to wait about 3 months for Snow Leopard. Tomorrow, you do make a lot of sense in regards to buying what I should afford. I COULD afford the 2.9 but I'm just not sure whether I"d use it. Is there a huge difference between the 2.66 and 2.9?

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Huge? No, with most tasks it won't be all that noticeable; you'll notice the most difference on processor-intensive tasks like ripping or encoding music and video, etc. Watching movies, surfing - these are not processor-intensive. But you did mention "future proof" as one of your goals in your purchase.

I bought my iMac a year ago and maxed it out - no regrets. I plan on getting at least another 2-3 years out of it as my main machine.

8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I can't see there being to much difference. As for future proofing the computer that depends on how long you want to keep it.

Not much future proofing going on with the 2.6 and 2.93.

If you want to future proof then wait for Nahelem to move into the iMac. That way you will find a better garantee for the future.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you're 20" iMac will also run SL just fine you know... I'd wait as long as you can stand it before buying a new machine...

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I see in your signature that you have an aluminium macbook. If at times you feel that you want more power from it, you should go for the 2.9, other wise the 2.66 should be fine.