Which Imac to choose

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Armo99, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Armo99 macrumors newbie

I am new to this form and its my first post, I hope you guys can give me some ideas on which Imac model to choose. I currently have a windows base computer and looking to get an Imac. I am a light user with surfing the net, emails, playing the odd game, downloading and watching movies and youtube.
    I prefer the 27" models since it looks really nice but at the same time I dont want to spend $1800 for the new 2012 model. At the moment Apple has a refurbished 2011 27" for $1359. Would this be a good buy considering my usage is very light? or should I wait a bit and try to get a refurbished 2012 model a few months later? Is 2012 model much better than 2011 model?

If you can give me some ideas I would really appreciate. Thank you

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That 2011 model is a decent buy. You're getting the same 27" screen albeit not laminated (which could be a good thing)

You've got RAM upgradability just as easy as the 2012 model. You've got a Superdrive & Thunderbolt.

I'd say unless you want the new form factor the 2011 model is going to handle itself nicely and saving $250 isn't bad either.

3. Armo99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply back. Its a savings of $450 plus 13% tax. I dont really need fast thunderbolt or 3.0 usb drive. My worry is older technology in 2011 and I hear about 2011 models getting hot, but I dont know if they get hot from heavy use or get hot from light use too? Also with this refurbished 2011 model they must have changed the hard drives that were bad I assume.