Which iMac to get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wissy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. wissy macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I've been a windows user all my life. Would like to get an iMac now.Some questions regarding which iMac I should get for my usage. 80% of the time I will be surfing the web and using office to do my assignment.20% of the time I will be playing Simcity, watching videos and light photoshopping.im looking at the 21.5 inch iMac. I also have a huge database of photos.
    1.Is the new Intel iris pro enough for my daily usage? Or should I get the 21.5 with the 750m?
    2.Should I upgrade to fusion drive or ssd?
    Thanks in advance for all your advices!!!!:)

2. sazza85 macrumors member

Personally, I would go for the Fusion Drive, 1TB or 3TB, depends on how huge your database is

I always like a dedicated graphics (personal preference really) but I would also upgrade the RAM in the 21.5" as you can't do it at a later date, ideally 16GB.

3. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

I'm switching too and I made the decision by going to my local Apple store to play with the 21.5" and 27" just to see what I liked better.

I was dead set on the 21.5" for a long time but that is the same sized screen I use at home and I just thought I was ready for the larger size, although I do wish Apple still had the 24" size, that would be perfect for me.

Anyway, my recommendation is to spend some serious time in an Apple store (if possible) and the ones I tried had Photoshop installed, so you can play around with that to get an idea of how you feel about the screen sizes.

And I would definitely go with at least the fusion drive or all SSD. I have an SSD on my work laptop and I can't really go back to platters.