Which iMac to get..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Illustrial, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Illustrial macrumors member

Right. Basically, i'm looking to purchase one of the lovely new iMacs and need some help.

I have almost saved enough money to get a 21.5" iMac, but i'm wondering if it's worth saving up another few months to get another $500 for a 27".

I don't require any high-powered specs, so the basic 21.5"/27" will be the one I will be purchasing.

I do a fair amount of graphic work, movie editing, and also some gaming - things which could be made much more enjoyable when using a bigger size screen.

So to sum up, I can either have a 21.5" iMac in a few weeks, or a 27" in a few months. It's not an urgent purchase, I have a PC at the moment which is just about adequate enough for what i'm doing, but want a Mac sometime soon for the brilliant applications that are available.

Any suggestions?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Waiting if you can is usually the best situation.

3. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

By all means, wait! You will regret it if you go to the 21" every time you see the 27". 27"is a lot of real estate.;)

4. Illustrial thread starter macrumors member

3 months without a Mac is a long time though :p

I'll find a way to get by :)

5. Mrs Crowhurst macrumors newbie

Ew?

Don't you even dare attempt to wait for three whole months without a Mac. Get the one you can get the fastest.. it's the best thing to do. Your disgraceful machine can not handle another three months of shi- on it, so get the mac and get it NOW.

Crow out.

6. paulmitch macrumors newbie

I recently went with 24-inch to replace my 17-inch. It's amazing. I'd say wait to get the 27 if you can. It's really amazing how much of a difference it makes.

7. Illustrial thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your help.

I'll probably be going with the 27" model :)

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yea good choice, better off waiting and actually getting what you want than settling for the next best thing! [​IMG]

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd get the quad @ 2.8GHz (i7) with 8GB (4x2GB) RAM, 2TB HD if you need the space otherwise 1TB.
    What kind of games are you looking to play?

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

I'd get the 21.5 itsstill a lot of real estate [​IMG]

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you're only getting a basic one (i.e. no 4850 or Core i5/ i7) and you like playing games, maybe the 21.5" would be best. You'd be able to play games closer to native resolution so it would in theory look better and not look as blown up.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I don't need a new computer and still love my current iMac--but I have to say I would be very tempted with that 27 inch. The 24 is awesome and I can only imagine how the 27 would look in my family room! I have an old rear projection TV that needs replacing but still works ok--but I have to say that as I lay on my couch watching a movie--I am amazed at the resolution when I watch a Netflix movie on my iMac. I can even read the credits from quite a distance away, something I can't do on my Mitsubishi--so I certainly would put a lot of weight towards that 27!