Which Imac? White or Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyprospect, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Hi guys.Well i was wondering if purchasing a white iMac would be a good choice to replace my 1.83 mac mini c2d.I would go with the aluminum but i can only afford the 20 inch version.Its either imac white or imac aluminum.Also i purchased a vizio white hdtv and im not happy with the quality.Its fine but the digital channels are not as good as my old crt.could i use the imac with elgato to replace my tv or am i pushing it? Thanks in advance

2. aLoC macrumors 6502a

The original Alu iMac was a step back from the white one in some ways, but the current Alu is just as good. With one exception: it has a glossy screen. If you don't like glossy then you may want to consider the white.

3. slashjunior macrumors regular

As a proud owner of the base model 20" iMac I can say it is the best computer I have owned. I doubt you will notice a huge increase in speed over your Mac Mini. It really depends on what you plan to do with the machine. For what I do, surfing the net, listening to music, writing reports and moving photos from my camera then it is more than fast enough for me. I can't really comment on the white iMac as this is my first one. I do think the aluminum one looks better and I do love the glossy display and it is slightly thinner (although that shouldn't be a big concern being a desktop computer). The white iMacs are probably great machines and offer similar performance to the existing line-up at cheaper prices, plus they don't have the glossy screens which for some people is a good thing. As a relatively new iMac user I can't really comment on previous models as this is my first one :)

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have to agree that the 20" aluminum is fantastic. I use it at home. At work I have the white imac. I prefer the aluminum, and I love the glossy screen (if only I could convince the rest of the family to keep their hands off the screen!). I guess it boils down to whether you prefer a glossy screen or not. The latest updates would also sway me towards the aluminum iMac.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I've owned two of the white iMacs and now I have a 20" aluminium one. The old machines were definitely better designed and constructed in my opinion. This new one gets unbelievably hot.

6. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for replying.I really like the aluminum but i saw it at a local best buy and the gradient issue is a problem.I did not think it was as bad i they said it was but wow it was pretty bad.I don't know.What about a macbook? Only thing about the macbook is the mag safe issue.Im leaning more towards the white imac.Hmmm.

7. mr.light macrumors 6502

I can not comment about the gradient issue because I have never seen it. If you don't need to be portable go with the white iMac. I find the MacBooks screen size (vertical at least) to be small and limiting. I prefer the MacBook pro screen size. Then again you could use an external monitor with the MacBook. But then why not get a Mini?

8. slashjunior macrumors regular

What is this gradient issue you speak of? Are you referring to viewing angles? If so then I have to agree that they aren't that great and it is best to view it head-on. Although this is pretty much a none issue for me. EDIT: Okay I Googled it and I have noticed no problems with my iMac.

The MacBook is a good machine, however as a desktop replacement you would want to use a monitor rather than the 13.3" display, which would then make me question whether your Mac Mini would work just as well unless you need that portability. I have a few niggles with my MacBook as well. The fans get quite loud, even just what I would call small tasks like watching YouTube videos (I don't have the same problem with my iMac) plus after a few months you will notice a little crack appearing to the right side of the lid causes by the magnetic latch. However, it is a great laptop. It is fast, a nice size for what I use it for, the magsafe is awesome and I love the keyboard.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. However, for your budget and requirements I am inclined to go with the white iMac. I can't really justify the added cost of the new aluminum iMac if you are happy to get a second hand white iMac.

9. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks you for the comments.Wow i forgot about the flash and heat issue and the cracking.Man thats why i bought a mini lol.I guess the white imac? I was waiting for a new updated mini but that did not work out like i hoped.I think the white imac is a classic.in a way.Hmm im still thinking :).

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I do not know why your new iMac gets unbelievably hot???? It should not be that way. I have a 24" 2.8 Extreme iMac, and I can feel the heat along the top of the imac but it is not as hot as you say.

Maybe your fans aren't running properly?

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The 20" model gets hotter because it is considerably thinner than the 24".

12. keehun macrumors regular

I bought the white 20" 2.16ghz duo iMac about a month before the refresh, and I was so happy I got this before the refresh came out. I hate glossy screens, there are all sorts of video issues (most are fixed by now, but I would've had the hassle). This screen is absolutely stunning, and you should get the White 20" :)