Which iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whj, Mar 10, 2012.

1. whj macrumors newbie

First off I am a new member to the forum, though I have been reading posts on here for awhile. I am familiar with Apple products to an extent, as I have an iPhone 4S and iPad 2, both of which I LOVE! However, I have never had a Mac computer but I am seriously considering a new iMac. My PC is a Dell that's about 5 years old now and its not as quick as it used to be though it's still usable. But, after trying out the iMacs a few times at Best Buy and the Apple store, I really would like to get one, especially considering the amount of time I spend on my computer. The question is...which one would work best for me? I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on this.

I'm currently in Grad school working on my thesis so I spend a lot of time writing and rewriting. I also have really old documents that were saved from microfilm that I view on the computer. I teach part time at a local 2 year college and those classes have an online component so I spend a fair amount of time online and reading and sending emails. Also create a lot of presentations and such. Games are fun but I'm not a hardcore gamer. I do like to do some video editing, but it would be more along the lines of iMovie stuff. I like stuff like google earth but I don't think I do anything that's overly taxing on the processor or memory. I do want to make sure that whatever I get will be able to keep up for awhile. At least as long as my Dell.

I know this was kind of a long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I'm also aware that there may be a refresh in the near future but I've always been one to buy a product after the bugs have been worked out (the iPhone 4S being my exception). I'm pretty sure I don't need the top end 27". I'm more concerned with the difference between the 21.5" Base, 21.5 2.7ghz i5, and the 27" base. Is there a noticeable difference in processors and GPU? Also, do you think the 27" screen is worth the extra money? Again, my apologies for the length of this post.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Screen size is a personal choice that you'll have to decide on. In my experience the smaller screen is more than large enough for the tasks you mention. Also there's no reason I can see for you to get anything other than the base model.

3. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I also think that the base model should do all that you need, and at most maybe a RAM upgrade to 6/8gb should be all that you need extra.

My daughter does pretty much that much, and adding 2gb to the base model has made it a pretty fast computer for her needs.

4. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

Which iMac

whj: What subject do you teach? I work at a two-year college and we use Blackboard 9.1 which runs well on my iMac (if one could say Bb 9.1 runs well at all.)

I did my Masters thesis on an Apple IIC and that was a real experience! You had to flip around the disks every ten seconds.

I can run anything I need for academia on an iMac except our student management software.

5. whj thread starter macrumors newbie

My focus is History, though right now I'm just teaching Freshmen orientation classes. A large part of the class is online assignments, discussions, and quizzes. We also use Blackboard, though they give it a different name. So I'm glad it will run that well.

I've been writing my thesis on my DELL, but I'm hoping I will be completing it on a new iMac. :D

I haven't tried our student management software on a Mac, but I know it will run on an iOS device, so hopefully it will work with a Mac. What software do you use?

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

The base 21.5 should serve you just fine. If you want use iStat once you have it to get a better idea if you need more RAM, I currently have 8gb in mine and it flies. You will be very happy with the base iMac they are great machines and just work which is a really big deal for someone like me who defected from windows.