Which iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlueMeanie, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BlueMeanie macrumors newbie

I'm going back into the design business, doing mostly web work, promo cd's, and maybe a little print. I expect to be using Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Freehand, and a few other odds and sods, and possibly Director at some time in the future. So, I need a new Mac to go with my iBook. I don't have a large budget so I was hoping that the 17" iMac i.83Gb would suffice. Any thoughts?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If the screen space will suffice, then is is fine. I think that 17" is a tad small for that work, but hey, it was not so long agon that 17" was considered huge.

Also, be sure to get the better 17" with the ATI graphics card, both for your chosen apps and for Leopard.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Get the 20 inch or 24 inch. Its so brilliant, you'll be glad you did.

4. jesteraver macrumors 6502

One thing you can try and find yourself a refurbished 20" probably for a fairly good price.

One thing isn't Freehand going to be part of Illustrator CS3 ?

5. BlueMeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go for the 17" with the ATI card. Re: Freehand, I have no idea about Illustrator CS3. I used to love all Macromedia software and would use it in preference to Adobe any day. But I suppose now that Adobe own them Freehand will disappear. I've never liked Illustrator.

6. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

If you are still reading I would second that.