Which iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apthai, May 16, 2008.

1. apthai macrumors member

I'm thinking about purchasing the iMac fairly soon. There are two option that I have right now but can't decide which one to get.

Brand New iMac 20" ($1,399. This is with my student discount)
    2.66Ghz
    2GB Memory
    320GB Drive

OR

Refurb iMac 24" ($1,399)
    2.4Ghz
    1GB Memory
    320GB Drive

Both are the same price and I'm not too worried about the memory as that can be easily upgraded. I can't decide if I want the bigger screen or the newer processor. The newer processor has a faster FSB, 1066Mhz compared to 800Mhz.

I know there is nothing wrong with the refurb because I've ready alot of good things about them. Which would you choose?

2. oli2140 macrumors 6502

How big is your desk? ;)
    I have a 24" iMac and think that the size of the screen is great. I find it much less productive when using monitors which are any smaller than that. Anything with photoshop or video editing would certainly benefit from a bigger screen aswell.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The 24" has a much better quality screen, if that's important to you.

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I would get the 24 incher. You will appreciate the bigger screen size.

5. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I would get the refurb. the 24" screen is Beautiful and I don't know if it is still happening but on the refurb there is a chance you can get a "bonus". On mine i ordered the 320gb HD and got a 500gb HD

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

If I were you I'd get the new 20". It's faster, and the screen is plenty big. Unless you really care about the screen quality, the 20" is the better option.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd say the 2.4. You're going to notice 4" of screen real estate a lot more than 260 mhz. Plus, as others have said, it's a higher quality screen.

8. Samdog macrumors newbie

Agreed. The 8-11% speed difference (depending upon which analysis you believe) will be barely noticeable in real world, day-to-day use, but the 44% increase in screen size will be obvious all the time. Even if the size were the same, the increased quality of the 2.4 model's screen would offset the 2.66's slight speed bump.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive even the processor if you are so inclined. You can not upgrade the screen you either have to run an external display or replace the iMac. Therefore I would get the 24 inch.

10. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

go with the 24" refurb.

i got a 20" refurb, and i'm starting to wish i had gone with the 24" instead.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not to pick on you, but honestly I never understood why anyone would ask this sort of question, let alone how anyone could possibly answer it in any remotely useful way. I mean, isn't this a little like asking, "what's my favorite color, red or blue?"