Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
my imac came with tiger preinstalled, i directly, without doing anything else, used the leopard drop in disc. i installed leopard, fine, and everything, but those tiger install discs, to i need them? do they have something my leopard drop in doesnt have? can i just toss out those 2 grey cds? they have this package that installs bundled software that came with the imac, but doesnt that like install the tiger stuff? my leopard drop in doesnt have this bundled software thing. i also bought leopard for my mbp, neither does that one, its like my drop in for my imac.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
my imac came with tiger preinstalled, i directly, without doing anything else, used the leopard drop in disc. i installed leopard, fine, and everything, but those tiger install discs, to i need them? do they have something my leopard drop in doesnt have? can i just toss out those 2 grey cds? they have this package that installs bundled software that came with the imac, but doesnt that like install the tiger stuff? my leopard drop in doesnt have this bundled software thing. i also bought leopard for my mbp, neither does that one, its like my drop in for my imac.

The tiger discs are going to have iLife 08 on them.You'll certainly want to keep them as well as your leopard drop in.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You want to keep all of them.

The Leopard drop in obviously has Leopard, but only Leopard. All of the software that came with your Mac (like iLife) are only on the grey discs. Also, one of the grey discs is also a hardware test CD to test your computer for hardware problems should they arise far in the future.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
You want to keep all of them.

The Leopard drop in obviously has Leopard, but only Leopard. All of the software that came with your Mac (like iLife) are only on the grey discs. Also, one of the grey discs is also a hardware test CD to test your computer for hardware problems should they arise far in the future.

i know about that hard ware test thing, i didnt know you needed the cd in to do it, ive done it once, but the cd was in, how do i get ilife from the cd, what folder is it in? the bundled software one? doesnt that also install apps like ichat, and if it does, wouldnt that replace the one i have in leopard? how do i get ilife off the disk?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Drop Leopard DVD in installs this:

* Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)

The Software Restore DVDs include:

* Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger (includes Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Xcode Developer Tools)
* iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork ’08 (30-day trial), Aperture Trial
* Photo Booth
* Front Row

---

Anytime you need to reinstall the Bundled Apps, just use the custom install off the original DVDs. Basically if you toss out the two Restore DVDs you toss out iLife '08.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, because you need to install Tiger to reinstall Leopard. Ouch, or you need to purchase the full version, not upgrade, of Leopard. But you would still need the Tiger disks for iLife and iWork if it was preinstalled on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.