Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which instant messaging client(s) do you use?

• Total voters

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Since the past few days I've been talking to people about instant messaging alternatives, I thought it would be interesting to make a poll and see what the majority of MR reader's used.

I currently use iChat. Sometimes Skype.
Feel free to select more than one, if the client is not listed above, post it below.

Cheers,

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Adium all the way. None of my friends use AOL nor Skype so iChat and Skype are useless. Adium lacks video and audio but it's the best for everything else. Even supports IRC now!

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Adium for regular chat, iChat and Skype for video, depending on the person.

Can't say I've been on adium recently though.

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Adium (using the XMPP/Jabber protocol) for IM.

For audio i use a SIP hardware phone (Yealink SIP T-28P) connected to a Localphone account for calls from the PSTN and accounts with OnSIP and iptel hosting my primary and backup domains (so i have the same addresses for email, IM, and SIP).

I have no need of video chat (and am too ugly to be on camera anyway :D).

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
On my Mac, just iChat, MSN Messenger, and occasionally Yahoo! On my PC I use Pidgen and Windows Live Messenger. All work for me pretty well, no complaints here.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I use MSN Messenger sometimes but I mostly use IRC; I've been active on a number of chat rooms for nearly a year now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.