which insurance for iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acorn, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I was wondering which insurance should i get with my i[phone. would applecare plus be enough and how do i get applecare plus if i go through verizon to get my phone. do i just buy it seperately from apple?

2. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I bought mine from Verizon online - the option for Applecare+ was not there (or I did not see it - there was optional insurance for a billion dollars a month) so I imagine you should be able to take your phone to an Apple store and buy the Applecare+ within 30 days of your phone purchase...

I don't know if you could do it online - I would think Apple would want to see the phone before letting you buy protection....

3. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Well the one for Verizon most likely is Asurion and it covers theft but is expensive (I think almost 12$ at
    Month and almost 200$ for replacement ) so I would go with apple care and yes you have to go to the store unless you feel your phone might get lost

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If you don't mind not having the protection of theft/loss, don't carry any. Asurion has a crazy deductible $169 I think. So if you break your phone on month 6 you have spent 59.94 for the insurance and $169 for the deductible that's $228. You can get your iPhone repaired/swapped out at Apple for $199 with no insurance.

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Square trade. It covers EMP damage. As well as any damage from alien abductions, time travel, and shrink rays.

6. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

i will get apple plus and something from square trade for loss i think thanks guys.

7. wellok macrumors 6502

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I got AppleCare+ to cover against accidental damage or any other damage that I may get. It cost $99. I also opted to get the insurance through AT&T to cover theft & stolen for $6.99/mo for peace of mind. Extra price doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather pay now than purchase later if I lose it.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Doesn't the ATT one cover all of the above though?

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It does, but the process is a lot longer and more complicated. Apple's is a lot more straightforward. Plus, the deductible is $199 vs $49. I lose it or get it stolen, I'll pay the $199.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Just seems with all the money you are tossing at it, would almost be cheaper to just buy a new phone. To each his own, of course.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I see your point, I really do. I've done the math. But I'd rather toss away the money bit by bit than all once, regardless if it's more in the long run. And peace of mind is priceless.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Fair enough. :)

Another thing to consider is tossing the money, bit by bit, into a savings account. If you need it, it's there. If not, well you treat yourself to something pretty nice! :)

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I actually thought of that that option, but I opted against it. I know myself and I know that putting the money in a savings account won't work. I'll just end up ultimately spending it for some reason, or if I lose it in the next couple of months, the money that I would have put away wouldn't cover it. I'd want a replacement 64GB, which I'll probably get for $649 discount if I lose/stolen. It would take me ~93 months to equal that value rather than $199. I know I could just add the $199 plus the money in the fund, but I'll still be paying out of pocket. I won't have any peace of mind.

15. rookiezzz macrumors regular

If I have the contract, I will go with AT&T for the loss or theft insurance. If I have the off-contract one, I will go with applecare+, we all know it's very easy to deal with the apple's employee :D