Which insurance to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p1x3l, Jul 14, 2009.

1. p1x3l macrumors newbie

I am very liquid-spill-prone, so I am thinking of getting insurance for MBP (3 years is enough I think). Any recommendations or past experience?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Many have had success with purchasing additional coverage or utilizing coverage through a homeowner's policy or a renter's policy they already have

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Ditto. I have an extra $3,500 rider on my MBP just for spills and drop damage. Check your homeowners or renters policy.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Applecare if that is what you are looking for...of course thats really more than just a warranty and it is kinda expensive.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's not that expensive, look at some other companies it's about on par, even at full retail. But it's not insurance. Homeowners rider is probably the best, some credit cards I believe have insurance as well...

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Doesn't cover spills or physical damage.

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Sorry...good point. I wasn't thinking.

8. p1x3l thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a home, so no home owner insurance for me. I have Apple Care but thinking of refunding it (come to think of it, it is kinda useless). What about just plain insurance company specializing in laptops?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Keep the AppleCare. Insurance policies will only give replacements, which means you could be out of a computer for weeks for what should be a quick fix. AppleCare will allow you to bring in your computer for repairs at a local Apple store and usually have it back the same day or a few days later.
    The best method is to add insurance which protects from damages on top of AppleCare.
    If your computer isn't broken before the insurance expires, just run it over with your car to get a new one. :rolleyes: (but seriously, don't do that, it is fraud)

10. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

Purchase it with an American Express Credit Card. They give all of their card holders two years of accidential insurance for free. If you don't believe me just check it on their website.

11. p1x3l thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, it was purchased using BoA credit card...

12. pugple macrumors member

I think they've changed this to 90 days of accidental insurance for an amount up to $1000.

13. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

This is a good insurance company. Click me