Which internal HD to upgrade PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dkeninitz, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I have a G5 PM that's a couple of years old. It's got a 160GB internal drive, and I've got a Lacie 250GB Firewire external and a Maxtor 150GB USB external.

I'm down to my last 30GB on the internal drive, but that hasn't been a problem, thanks to the external drives...until now.

I just upgraded to Logic 8 Studio. The Content module is 34GB: I thought it would be possible to locate it on the Lacie drive, but Logic doesn't allow it, so I need to add another internal drive.

Anyone have a recommendation in the 250GB range? I'm looking for something reasonably fast, with minimal installation fuss. TIA for any help.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Western Digital 500 GB SATA 16 Mb cache (WD5000AAKS if memory serves) are commonly on sale, they are good. The Seagate Barracuda 500 is a bit more money but gives you a 5 year as opposed to 3 year warranty. IMO don't buy smaller than 500.

3. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll look at both. The warranty part isn't a big deal to me, as I'm planning to replace with with a MacPro in the next year, though I guess I could transfer the drive.