Which internal HDs would you recommend for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by andboom, Jan 23, 2008.

1. andboom macrumors member

andboom

I am a Video Editor based in the UK looking for 3 identical media drives for Bays 2, 3 and 4 of my new 2008 mac pro 8 Core 3Ghz 6GB RAM. I already have a 500GB System drive in Bay 1.

I am using the machine for Non-RAID Final Cut Studio 2 editing, Music Production with Ableton Live and archiving a large amount of video and a huge amount of images, so my priorities are transfer speed, startup speed and reliability. Also, the machine is on most of the day so low noise is also important. In other words, the three drives need to be good performers that I can depend on as much as the ones I had in my Dual G5 Powermac, which are still going strong after 4 years.

Currently my preferred reseller (Yoyotech) is giving me the choice between two models of 750GB SATA2 3GB/s 7200RPM 3.5" drives, both with 32MB Cache :

HITACHI HDS721075KLA330

SAMSUNG HD753LJ

My reseller's prices are the same for both. I know it's not an exact science as every drive can be different, but can anyone recommend one over the other from experience?

I have seen on-line reviews for both drives users are either completely satisfied or found them complete disasters so it's very difficult to get a good idea (also not always confident that they are talking about these exact models). I'm aware there are many other comparable brands too but these drives are both available for £100 from my reseller, which is quite a bit less for this capacity than manufacturers such as Seagate. Some reviewers are saying that although Seagate Barracudas are generally very reliable they can be quite noisy, and in any case the 750GB Seagate would cost me quite a bit more and as far as I know, only have 16MB Cache as opposed to these two which have 32MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. rds macrumors regular

3. Toups macrumors regular

I second the Samsung and STRONLY recommend using the search function as this has been discussed at length before, and can save you some time in waiting for responses.

4. andboom thread starter macrumors member

andboom

That was quick, rds! Thanks! Just out of interest, are you speaking from experience of running these drives or did you find this out from reviews? If it's from reviews, got any good links where I can find out stuff like this in future? :) I was swaying towards Samsung too but only because a Hitachi laptop drive died on me once ;) Anyone else think Samsung is the way to go too? :)

5. Toups macrumors regular

I am running 2 whisper quiet 250gb/16mb cache SATAII drives and have had no errors and great throughput for over a year now.

6. rds macrumors regular

I bought a couple based on a couple of reviews, in this case, the Tom's Hardware review swayed me. Been running them for over a month and they are running like a dream. I previously owned a couple of the original Spinpoint 250GB drives which gave me even more faith in the brand.

7. andboom thread starter macrumors member

andboom

That's good news, but I am asking about two specific 750GB drive models by Hitachi and Samsung...

Incidentally I searched everywhere for threads on both the Hitachi and the Samsung HDs and, not surprisingly, couldn't find an existing thread with a comparison between these models, just general Mac Pro internal HD discussions, so I still think my thread is justified...

Cheers for the comment but it was never in question whether your hard drives have run for over a year without errors... that's not really remarkable. My 250GB Satas have been going for over 4 years, and most carry at least a 5 year guarantee anyway... in any case you didn't mention manufacturer. No biggie, though.

Thanks folks. It sounds like Samsungs are the way forward!

8. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Without starting a new thread i'm looking at using the same programs FCS, Logic and Ableton and was thinking of this setup.

Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor 150Gb 10K RPM 16Mb Boot Drive

Seagate 7200.11 750Gb 32Mb SATA II Backup Drive, muisc, pictures and everything else

(Should I partition the drive as 150 GB for the backup of the raptor)
    (Leave the other 500Gb for all of my files)

Seagate 7200.11 750Gb 32Mb SATA II (Video Scratch disk)
    Seagate 7200.11 750Gb 32Mb SATA II (Audio Samples etc.)

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Very happy with my ultra-quiet Samsung Spinpoint F1 750's with 32MB cache. Running them in RAID1 as a 2nd drive. Now if I can only find something quieter than at Raptor for my boot drive. The WD Caviar with 8MB cache that came stock is really quite slow.

10. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

im also a video editor, mainly doing HDV & XDCAM workflows, and i just got 3x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives. One as a System drive, the other two in RAID 0.. and i highly recommend them.. VERY fast and VERY quiet, i could not be happier. Just ran FCP and Compressor today for the first time on my new MP, and just coming off editing with a Macbook Pro for a year.. i was floored by some of the speeds i was getting... a 7 Second 500MB 10-Bit Uncompressed video file compressed down to a 2MB h.264 file took me something like 10 seconds, the same job on my 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro took 1min 30secs!!!

then again that original 500MB file wouldn't even play on the MPB :)

11. thevibesman macrumors regular

Anyone know how the Seagate 7200.11 750GB would compare to the Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB as far as noise levels are concerned. Anyone have any thoughts on reliability of one drive or the other?

12. Eric2 macrumors member

Hi, I’m in the same boat – I have short listed the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and Samsung Spinpoint F1 750.

I wanted the 1TB version but netdog and the odd bad review have persuaded me to go for the 750Gb version – hopefully more reliable.

I have no experience of either but from searches the F1 is quieter and possibly faster than the Seagate although looking at the reviews at newegg.com the 7200.11 is much quieter than the older 7200.10. But its the long term reliability that is swaying me to the Seagate where I feel the Samsung is a bit more unknown because its so new.

13. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Noise i'm not to sure on but i've read some negatives on other forums about the samsung drives